• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 R12R Mirror Stalks

dbrick

rabid reader
To replace the perished (I used to be an old English car fan, and have been waiting decades to use that wording) rubber covers, I've unscrewed the mirror stalks, and now need to separate the threaded fittings that connect the stalks to the handlebar clamps. The clutch side was no problem: all the threads are left-hand, the nut loosened as I expected and I then unscrewed the stalk.

The throttle side is a challenge. The stalk-and-fitting assembly has a right-hand thread and unscrewed from the bar clamp easily enough. But I can't loosen the nut to unscrew the fitting from the stalk. I suspect this is also a right-hand thread, like the fitting-to-clamp joint, but CCW force doesn't open the joint.

Can someone confirm the throttle-side stalk threads are right-hand? Any ideas on how to loosen the nut so I can unscrew the stalk from the fitting?

I got it: while the threads on the throttle-side fitting-to-bar-clamp are right-hand, the right and left mirrors and their stalks are identical: thus, the stalk-to-fitting joint on the throttle side is a left-hand thread, just like on the clutch side.

Back