• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dragging an Anchor

I've got a '85 K100RS, To start at the beginning last fall after doing some hard riding in the mountains the bike started steering like the rear brakes were dragging and I could hardly steer the thing through even the mildest corners. After getting out the mountains I stopped for a rest. Checking the Brakes & Tires, everything appeared ok and air pressures were still good. When I took off again everything was fine, I wrote it off to pushing the bike too hard and over heated the brakes.
Earlier this Spring climbing up the mountains, I really wasn't pushing it or the brakes It happened again. I was convinced the brakes where binding so after receiveing the parts I replaced pads, Brake hose and rebuilt master cyl. & Caliper which both looked in excellent shape.
This didn't resolve the problem and what appears to be something seizing is getting more frequent. I changed the Final Drive & Transmission Oil which both looked good.
Yesterday while driving to the Honda Hoot for the first time it happen while just taking the Bike down the Interstate. I stopped on the side of the Hwy and checked if there was any heat build up on the front disks or where the bearings are in the center,Nothing cool as a cucumber!
I'm starting to think Transmission as I can still feel it with the clutch engauged but not in neutral. I tried simulating it this morning with the bike on the stand and engauged in 1st gear, I built up heat by dragging the rear brake occassionally till the cooling fan came on nothing!
This is getting unnerving the thought of a total seizure at speed, Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts, I want to go to WV in a couple of weeks but feel I can't trust her with a situation like this:confused: :dunno

It sounds like you have done a reasonable job of troubleshooting the problem. Since the tranny and drive oil were clean, and with the fact that it does not do it when free wheeling, it sounds like a transmission bearing (or other) problem. I wouldn't ride much more if I were you.

Best of luck, I hope to see you in WV.

Back