• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

iphone music via GPS to helmet using bluetooth

hmeiseles

Hi all,

I have a Schuberth c3 helmet with the communication package. I have a garmin 665 and an iphone 5. I have the phone 5 connected to the garmin via bluetooth. I have the garmin connected to the helmet via bluetooth. The iphone 5 works well with the garmin and helmet, except when I try to play music on the iphone via the garmin to the helmet. It does not work. Has anyone gotten this configuration to work so that one can play music via the garmin to the helmet?

Regards
Howard

You need to link the phone to your helmet. The Garmin simply acts as a go between for the phone portion of the phone. Even if you could get the music to come through it would be in Mono and sound bad. If the comm unit on that helmet is any good at all it should be able to link both units with no issue and then simply cut the music out to give you GPS directions.

I have the same gear setup but find that by copying my playlist to the sd card on the garmin the glove friendly screen offers more control over the sounds I hear. At my age the playlist doesn't change quickly and updating it doesn't take much time.

You need to link the phone to your helmet. The Garmin simply acts as a go between for the phone portion of the phone. Even if you could get the music to come through it would be in Mono and sound bad. If the comm unit on that helmet is any good at all it should be able to link both units with no issue and then simply cut the music out to give you GPS directions.

I would live to know how I could link both a phone and a GPS to my helmet via Bluetooth. My understanding and experience is that you can link only one source at a time to a helmet via bluetooth.

I would live to know how I could link both a phone and a GPS to my helmet via Bluetooth. My understanding and experience is that you can link only one source at a time to a helmet via bluetooth.
What bluetooth headset and GPS are you using? I have the Sena SMH10 and I pair my iPhone 3GS and a transmitter attached to my MixIt2 amp to my headset.

I have the same gear setup but find that by copying my playlist to the sd card on the garmin the glove friendly screen offers more control over the sounds I hear. At my age the playlist doesn't change quickly and updating it doesn't take much time.
+1 -- I also have audio stored on a micro SD card, and I leave the phone paired to the GPS -- that way incoming call caller ID can be observed and rejected or accepted from the GPS display.

It's a question of which gear you're using. To do what you want, the bluetooth hardware in the helmet needs two bluetooth radios, one paired for the phone, one paired for the GPS. In this case, the headset is "control central". Most people use the GPS as "control central" because Garmins come with two bluetooth radios. Me? I use both bluetooth and a wire. Everybody's needs are different.

Howard, you have ...

A Cardo G4 in your unit, same as my riding buddy. My G9 is very similar. My manual says at least twice to pair the phone to the GPS and the GPS to the helmet. This will let the GPS show the phones phone book and GPS announcements to come through.

Playing music from the phone through this setup may be a problem - you may have to press the mobile button to resume music after a phone call or GPS advisory. See your manual for the name of the mobile button on your unit. It may by A, but my memory ...

I bought a Nano with Bluetooth to work with my Dumb cell phone and 550 GPS. I hope this will let the full priority scheme work without button pushes. Still too cold to try it out.

The 550 is too ancient for stereo music - don't know about the unit you have. Maybe a Nano in your future... Oh, other reports say an iPod touch looks like a phone to the Cardo, and only one phone is allowed. That's why I bought the Nano. Dumb can be good.

Best of luck. Do keep us in touch.

And, the Cardo folks are great - phone them or email them - they called me back by phone and were very helpful.

But, I'm charging the Cardo now and will give it a try soon. Will be wierd wearing the helmet indoors...

Back