• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R iCluster moisture damage

AntonLargiader

Bike came in with a moisture-damaged iCluster. The gasket seems to have done its job but the cluster housing is vented and I assume it breathed enough to get condensation inside (the internals were damp when I opened it up). This is a bike that sits outside for extended durations.

Common issue? I didn't find any thread mentioning it having happened before.

Anton,

On an R1200R specific forum I've been a member of since I got mine in '07, I have never heard of this being a problem. This wasn't a flood bike?

Not a flood bike, just living a hard life. The whole bike looks terrible.

The damage to the circuit board is limited to a small area, roughly in back of the space to the left of 'rpm'. There's a vent nearby, so there could have been condensation on that spot. No water level marks inside the cluster.

overview.jpg

As you mention a "hard life", I have seen this type of thing when water or condensation is allowed to "pool", freeze, re-freeze and the ice expansion pushes it's way into the component. I don't know if the bike that is from has ever spent time in freezing temperatures. The damaged surface mount components are very hard to cleanly repair. Nice pics of the problem. OM

That was an iPhone snap in the dark, but here's a detail shot of the damaged area*. What I find interesting from the first pic, though, is that it looks like the board is close enough to the back of the housing that it may be picking up condensation from that. If so, that's just a bad design. The housing will change temperature much faster than the board itself.

BTW a new cluster, retail, is nearly $1000. That's crazy. It does far less than a $500 phone, probably less than a $100 phone. And I'm not buying the 'but it's built to withstand the elements' thing... :)

EDIT: replaced in subsequent post

Last edited:
Nice...they say the IPhone is now the most popular camera in the world. I've done some repair work to circuit boards and that SMT (surface mount technology) are tough to repair. It's not like the "old days" :gerg when a micro-chip had an identifying number and you could replace the part. Most of the parts in that board, my guess, are proprietary. Being that they are relatively short production run items, the costs are usually a lot higher.

The detail shot wasn't from the iPhone - was a Canon 100mm Macro - but in good light the iPhone is darned good. In poor light it just gets slow. Here's a better one.

I get the low production thing, but I remember ZFEs being $250 or so when these bikes first came out. Now most of the modules are approaching $1000. Last fall, $1500 got me a new 27" iMac (back when they still had a DVD in them!). $1000 for this piece of junk that doesn't even have a Gore-Tex shield over the vents? Wow.

ADDED: At any rate, it looks like something got under the soldering and pushed on of the SMDs right off the board. I don't know exactly what that red stuff is: corrosion, poor surface treatment before soldering, ?. No idea.

closeup.jpg

The Gore-Tex shield is a great point and an especially good idea in this application. The GT is used in some of the IPX7 waterproofing ratings although it does change the audio from the speaker and the microphone. It really doesn't take much to "lift" a trace off the board. I'm a bit behind in the new "float-through" soldering processes but board prep, whatever they are using for a flux type substance, the solder and final "sealing" all are critical to long term survival of the component. Yeah the price is expensive but as no one has chimed in with there being a rash of this type of failure, it might be isolated.
I had another thought on this- some people like to pressure wash the crap out of their bikes- I'm not a fan of this. If this was hit with a pressure washer, especially with an aggressive/wrong cleaner, it could have easily caused this. :dunno

Out the door with no resolution. Owner took the cluster back to work (defense electronics sort of company) to see if someone wanted to fix it. They thought it was too damaged, so he's on the lookout for something used.

I think he could find another damaged cluster and swap some of the SMDs around and fix what he has. We'll see. Bike runs fine without it.

Back