• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anniversary Airhead?

r90r100r

WI Airhead
Any more information on the production of an anniversary Airhead in 201_? I'm itching for another Airhead withing the next year!

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

Where did you hear this far fetched rumor? With all of the things that had to change on the Airhead, it would take quite a lot to bring it back. Wait...isn't that the Oilhead??

Do you mean airhead or "not the new water cooled engine," i.e. a camhead? I know there is a 90th anniv RT coming out as a friend has placed an order. I think he said it will be here in Feb. Or maybe it's being built in Feb.

The anniversary specials will have the camhead engine.

Nobody has called boxer-engine BMWs "Airheads" since 1995.

Beyond the announcement there would be an anniversary edition bike news has been slow to trickle out. As pointed out it will be a camhead not what we call an airhead. In a recent press release the anniversary bikes were referred to as a "air cooled" boxer which may have caused some confusion to some. Yes, anniversary bikes. The other tease in the release was that three versions will be released. No details were included.

I have also ordered the 2013 RT 90th edition. it is 'Sapphire Black' w/ some gold elements & a 90th yr badge.
Supposedly the first units are being built now for distribution in Feb, although I was told ~60 days for mine.
Other than RT, they will be doing a GS & an R version of the bike. Note sure of quantities of each being produced.

Black and gold? John Player colors! Norton and Lotus did a great job with this combination, hope the new bikes are as nice!

Beyond the announcement there would be an anniversary edition bike news has been slow to trickle out. As pointed out it will be a camhead not what we call an airhead. In a recent press release the anniversary bikes were referred to as a "air cooled" boxer which may have caused some confusion to some. Yes, anniversary bikes. The other tease in the release was that three versions will be released. No details were included.

Thanks Mika for the clarification - I got excited over reading AIR-COOLED. I was hoping there would be a little more retro look to the 'anniversary' bikes. I'll keep looking and enjoying my 2 airheads!

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

OTL December 2012 showed up today. In "News and Views" on page 6, the editor writes:

BMW Motorrad will be presenting a new model with an air-cooled 'boxer' engine in 2013
as a special way of marking the "90 years of BMW Motorrad" anniversary..

Makes no sense, given the lack of production facilities and parts streams, and the presence
of current government noise regulations. I think the editor let his enthusiasm overwhelm reality.

Lots of elegant pics of the Barber collection, 'tho.

The anniversary airhead you are referring to is the production version of the Lo Rider cafe style bike. I am looking forward to it. It will also have the present generation of the boxer engine not the new WC version.

I have also ordered the 2013 RT 90th edition. it is 'Sapphire Black' w/ some gold elements & a 90th yr badge.
Supposedly the first units are being built now for distribution in Feb, although I was told ~60 days for mine.
Other than RT, they will be doing a GS & an R version of the bike. Note sure of quantities of each being produced.

Any word on prices?

Any word on prices?

Prices were same as the standard RT, $17350 as the base. There is an additional $595 cost for the model 90, but I seem to recall when researching online that all the RT bikes had the same $595 price somewhere added on for the color scheme.

Prices were same as the standard RT, $17350 as the base. There is an additional $595 cost for the model 90, but I seem to recall when researching online that all the RT bikes had the same $595 price somewhere added on for the color scheme.

Thanks! .....I'm planning on attending the IMS show @ Indy next month. I hope they have them there. We lost our local dealer a few years back.

Come spring, or at least warmer weather, I'll attempt to sell two Kawasaki cruisers I have , and I f I do ? :bow ...an anniversary RT just might wind-up in the garage.

At this point, there will be four 90 year anniversary models. There is no special anniversary equipment or options, but the paint scheme will be unique.
- R1200GS Adventure in Sapphire Black Metallic, black engine, black anodized Paralever, brake calipers and fork stanchions in gold, seat in Luxor Olive Gray/Seta Black
- K1300S Alpine White/Sapphire Black/Racing Red, tinted windshield, ESAII, ASC, RDC, HP shift assist, HP footpegs, Akrapovic exhaust, heated grips, on-board computer
- R1200R paint schem similar to Adventure and RT in black with gold calipers and fork stanchions
- R1200RT as described above

Prices have been leaked for Germany as 15,950 Euro for the Adventure, 18,500 Euro for the K1300S, 17,720 for the RT and 12,850 for the R

I have pictures of all, but copyrights prevent me from posting these, sorry.

The anniversary airhead you are referring to is the production version of the Lo Rider cafe style bike. I am looking forward to it. It will also have the present generation of the boxer engine not the new WC version.

So was this the one with the teaser picture in the MOA magazine?

I'm waiting to see what it will really be before I make the decision to get this one or the new F800GT. It's too cold to ride for a while so BMW has some time...

Attachments

• BBBBAAA_P90107904_highRes-616x339.jpg
    BBBBAAA_P90107904_highRes-616x339.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 278
At this point, there will be four 90 year anniversary models. There is no special anniversary equipment or options, but the paint scheme will be unique.
- R1200GS Adventure in Sapphire Black Metallic, black engine, black anodized Paralever, brake calipers and fork stanchions in gold, seat in Luxor Olive Gray/Seta Black
- K1300S Alpine White/Sapphire Black/Racing Red, tinted windshield, ESAII, ASC, RDC, HP shift assist, HP footpegs, Akrapovic exhaust, heated grips, on-board computer
- R1200R paint schem similar to Adventure and RT in black with gold calipers and fork stanchions
- R1200RT as described above

Prices have been leaked for Germany as 15,950 Euro for the Adventure, 18,500 Euro for the K1300S, 17,720 for the RT and 12,850 for the R

I have pictures of all, but copyrights prevent me from posting these, sorry.

Looking around i found pictures of them. I have an 1150 "R" currently, and might be more inclined to go for another "R" as opposed to an "RT" on second thought.

Opt for a set of bags, and see what windshields are available. I like the more naked front end, as I do more [warm] weather riding,than cold. And rain doesn't bother me so much. Besides that I do not care for radio, etc. I prefer bags, decent shield, heated grips, and a throttle lock.

So was this the one with the teaser picture in the MOA magazine?

I'm waiting to see what it will really be before I make the decision to get this one or the new F800GT. It's too cold to ride for a while so BMW has some time...

That's the pic I saw and am going to be really interested to see if BMW really produces this as an R1250R with the modified cafe like rear end!:D

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

At the NYC IMS I asked one of the MAXBMW staff if they thought he retro boxer would be out in time for riding season. He said to his knowledge not until the end of the year. I guess we'll know when BMW decides we need to know.

Back