• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rockster top case

rush70583

I have a 2004 Rockster with side cases. I need a mounting plate and either a top case or a backrest so my wife or kids can ride with me. I've toyed with the idea of fabricating a backrest. There seems to limited info when I query Rockster and top cases and backrests. Givi makes a mounting plate and top case but the costs are close to $600 with tax and shipping. Any suggestions?

Helen found a mounting bracket and a Givi topcase for her 2002 1150R online...I think EBay. I know it was not $600 as she is the coupon clipping wonder woman of deal finding.:heart

It was all new stuff, had to make sure the case and mounting plate were the same as Givi has a Monokey and a Monolock setup...they are not comaptible.

Attachments

• P1130137.jpg
    P1130137.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 116
the topcase mounted, she didn't get the optional backrest pad.

Attachments

• P1130136.jpg
    P1130136.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 116
I have a 2004 Rockster with side cases. I need a mounting plate and either a top case or a backrest so my wife or kids can ride with me. I've toyed with the idea of fabricating a backrest. There seems to limited info when I query Rockster and top cases and backrests. Givi makes a mounting plate and top case but the costs are close to $600 with tax and shipping. Any suggestions?

Buy used if you can find what you'd like. I bought a used Givi mount for the R1150R which also fits the Rockster for $75 in very good condition... it helps that I bought it from a co-memeber in the local BMW club... (a quick ebay check has one for $70+$20 shipping with no bids). I then bought a Givi V46 new from Revzilla. My total cost about $350. Not certain on the backrest costs. I'm sure there are other places to check for used gear.

Cheers!

buy an aftermarket rack(mine is mtd to OEM R1150R sidecase mounts same as rockster) & there are lots of other brands of top cases that will either mount direct to that or my Shad case came with a mounting plate for easy detachment.

buy an aftermarket rack(mine is mtd to OEM R1150R sidecase mounts same as rockster) & there are lots of other brands of top cases that will either mount direct to that or my Shad case came with a mounting plate for easy detachment.

I'll be looking to add a topcase to my R11RS come spring. When I look at the Shad's, they claim to come with some type of universal mounting plate. Does this work with your standard, BMW luggage rack OK? I've seen many options for people that have built their own mounting plates and such, but if I can, I'd just as soon buy something that'll work. Are you satisfied with your Shad topcase? They seem to be a little less expensive than the Givi's, but I've got to say that the large Givi I mounted on my wife's 125 Vino is good stuff.

top case

Sorry, I have since gone to 2 BMW waterproof Duffel bags I bought off an inmate on the Advrider site, looked thru pics, and can't find any with case on. It was pretty easy, set case on rack, put thin metal plate in the case, mark with sharpy, line up thin plate under rack, drill thru holes in plate in case, but tap holes underneath and use 1/4x20 SHC screws. Went to the duffles for ease of install and removing

At least in the past BMW cases were made by Shad. As for mine, it is 42 ltr and while it's high quality, the 1st one they sent had a miscast/warped top & whole unit replaced for no cost. I never used the OEM "fancy luggage carrier" as I sold it to pay for the better one already mentioned above,which is a universal what with plenty of places to mount any brand plate. The Shad plate is for their top case only unless they tell you differently as I don't know. It is way better than the Chinese Givi clone I used before, which actually worked ok for me. Decide if the topcase needs to be removable & what brand case you are after & sameo for side cases-then but the mtg plate & side case mts..
Might look on r1150r website as many move to newer models & sell in flea mkt there.

I'll be looking to add a topcase to my R11RS come spring. When I look at the Shad's, they claim to come with some type of universal mounting plate. Does this work with your standard, BMW luggage rack OK? I've seen many options for people that have built their own mounting plates and such, but if I can, I'd just as soon buy something that'll work. Are you satisfied with your Shad topcase? They seem to be a little less expensive than the Givi's, but I've got to say that the large Givi I mounted on my wife's 125 Vino is good stuff.

That is one of the things I was curious about. I need to find a universal rack that can mount to my rockster that won't interfere with the side cases. So far I heard of the Givi sr 683 will fit fine and heard I can modify that plate to fit other cases. I would like to see how a few of you mounted it to your rockster if possible--thanks

Back