• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

More than one attachment per post with new VB.

lee

Debbie's Servant
Has anyone checked to see if there's a setting on the new version of VB that allows more than one attachment per post?

When I have multiple pictures, I usually upload to another site, then copy them to my post or thread.
Having the option of multiple attachments in one post would be nice.

Thanks

Lee -

That has always been a setting within VBulletin...it is set to one per post. The decision for that was before my time. I'm guessing that the idea was to reduce the chance that the MOA forum become a picture-hosting site on the Internet. As it is, the database that goes with the MOA forum is HUGE!

Jeff said something like 5Gb...if that was the right number, it sure sounded like a lot to me. I did a check on the User Settings for myself...I have nearly 10Mb in images stored on the server...and I'm not a big uploader of pictures.

Lee -

That has always been a setting within VBulletin...it is set to one per post. The decision for that was before my time. I'm guessing that the idea was to reduce the chance that the MOA forum become a picture-hosting site on the Internet. As it is, the database that goes with the MOA forum is HUGE!

When you add a attachment, I didn't figure it took up space on the site because the picture is stored on the owners computer.
If adding more than one attachment is a problem, I would think copying 10 pictures from a hosting site would be a problem.
Not arguing, just curious.

If the original picture is on your own computer, then the only way it can show to others is by attaching or uploading the picture to the MOA's servers. This mode results in added burden by the the club's computers. But if the pictures are already stored somewhere else on the Internet and you're just providing a link to them, that's neglible impact to the MOA's servers.

If the original picture is on your own computer, then the only way it can show to others is by attaching or uploading the picture to the MOA's servers. This mode results in added burden by the the club's computers. But if the pictures are already stored somewhere else on the Internet and you're just providing a link to them, that's neglible impact to the MOA's servers.

That makes sense.
Thanks.

It might be helpful if the administrator could explain in the section how to post pics
that is is easy with windows paint (an accessory in every windows op sys for years)
to combine several pics into one image and then reduce or enlarge to a convenient
size and then save as a basic *.jpg image - this would allow for more than one
pic per post and still keep the file sizes to a minimum.

The thing to avoid is people posting many megapixel pics taken with modern phones
without first reducing the image to a reasonable size say 150-200kb max

Other op sys have similar utility to windows paint

44006 -

We have a wide range of people who use the forum who own a wide range of computer programs. In my case, I don't even use Paint...I'm sure I could struggle through it (update...I just tried Paint and I don't have a clue how to put two images in the same picture!!). I use PowerPoint (I use it all the time and find image manipulation easy)...I even have Photoshop at home if I really want to get creative. I also like the freeware program Irfanview for simply manipulation of images...probably more sophisticated than paint.

There is also the issue of cropping and resampling of the image...resampling reduces the number of pixels being displayed. A computer screen is a lousy way to see detail for photographs...they generally have very poor dots per inch as compared to photo paper. So, anything over 800 x 600 pixels or 1024 x 768 is way overkill. Irfanview even lets you adjust the quality of the JPG, which can also reduce the overall size of the image.

But, yes these various programs would allow you to import multiple images, group them as a single image and then save it back to your computer as a single JPG file. Then that single JPG can be uploaded in the usual fashion.

There's little chance that a megapixel image will be uploaded which would then overpower the screen. If the image is uploaded using the VBulletin software (as opposed to a link from an on-line photo sharing site), the software automatically limits a JPG to 160Kb maximum and 800 wide by 1000 tall pixels. These limits are shown on the manage attachment screen when you upload an image.

I suppose that if you have an 8 megapixel image on a photo sharing site and use a direct link to that, then it is possible that the entire 8 megapixel image will be displayed, creating quite a bit of scrolling and groaning from the viewers.

There are over 50 pages in this thread about posting pictures:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?2021-How-do-I-post-a-picture

Most are test pictures by people, but there are also instructions along the way for doing most of the steps for cropping, editing, and uploading a picture to the forum.

Back