• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Final drive casing leak

gbuchner

Le Motard du Texas
On my C650GT, there is a leak at the seam between the two pieces that form the case of the final drive.

After about 100 miles, I noticed oil drops on the garage floor and the underneath side of the final drive was oily.

I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic tightened the bottom bolts; he told me four of them were really loose.

Not more oil drops on the floor, but still some oil seeping out all around, top and bottom.

Anyone else has seen this?

Guy

On my C650GT, there is a leak at the seam between the two pieces that form the case of the final drive.

After about 100 miles, I noticed oil drops on the garage floor and the underneath side of the final drive was oily.

I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic tightened the bottom bolts; he told me four of them were really loose.

Not more oil drops on the floor, but still some oil seeping out all around, top and bottom.

Anyone else has seen this?

Guy

See: http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt/blog.htm

My dealer told me he replaced my seal a few weeks ago. I have not been riding because we have had more snow. I will be monitoring this and keep returning to the dealer for warranty. When warranty is over I will repair the problem the same way I did my 1958 BMW Isetta (the rear drive is a chain drive in an oil bath)13 years ago and still no leaks. I used a gasket sealer (silicon).

Had the 600 miles service, the mechanic looked at it, decided to take the cover off and founf that the very thin gasket was broken. It was replaced under warrantee, so far not leaking anymore....

Had the 600 miles service, the mechanic looked at it, decided to take the cover off and founf that the very thin gasket was broken. It was replaced under warrantee, so far not leaking anymore....

Started leaking again, no drips, just oil oozing out. Stopped at the dealer this morning, they did not argue and said they would order a new gasket and fix it (they have always been very good about this type of things).....

Back