• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Helmet Day!!!!

OK, it's that time..........the new Shoei helmet models are out, so the old stock in now in my price range. My old HJC Symax, with it's failing shield seal, was just replaced with a Shoei Multitec.

Yippee...........for me.

Cool deal. All the Multitecs around herewere on sale. I was going to buy one but my comm system woudn't easily fit on the helmet so I ponied up the extra dough for the Neotech late last year.

I'm thinking Multitec as well

I'm sort of in the market for a new helmet. My current HJC could easily go one more season. I just need to decide if I want another flipup.

Multitec is probably the route I'll go, though, if it will be a flipup. Prices are right, that's for sure.

The only modular helmet I've ever enjoyed wearing for more than an hour or two at a time. So far it's been the best helmet I've ever had. The flip down sunvisor is the bees knees too which something else that steered me away from the Multitec. I've owned helmets before with internal sun visors and swore I'd never own another helmet without one.

The only modular helmet I've ever enjoyed wearing for more than an hour or two at a time. So far it's been the best helmet I've ever had. The flip down sunvisor is the bees knees too which something else that steered me away from the Multitec. I've owned helmets before with internal sun visors and swore I'd never own another helmet without one.

I'm on the opposite side of the internal visor discussion. I wear glasses and depending on which pair I'm wearing, the internal visor can be a problem. In addition, I didn't like the lever mechanism and slot on the HJC Symax III due to the potential to be a leak path for noise. Otherwise, I like the value of HJC products and the common head form (shape) with the Shoei.

I gave up on modulars when i realized a Snell rating is probably more important than an opening chin, plus it's way quieter. Got a Shoei RF1200 and have been happy with it.
I tried and returned a Multitec, rode with it a number of days. Louder than a freight train. My previous Synchrotec was actually quieter.

I prefer helmets built to European standards rather than American standards ... just like my motorcycles.

I gave up on modulars when i realized a Snell rating is probably more important than an opening chin, plus it's way quieter. Got a Shoei RF1200 and have been happy with it.
I tried and returned a Multitec, rode with it a number of days. Louder than a freight train. My previous Synchrotec was actually quieter.

It's unlikely that a modular will be as quiet as a full face. The gaps are guaranteed noise generators and acoustic leak paths. Accordingly, for long rides, I typically wear a Shoei X11. However, for shorter and slower rides, the modulars are much more convenient. Oh, and on hot days, a modular is the definite pick.

In any case, I wear Howard Leight LaserLites..............the pretty ones:)

But, that is just me........

Did you ever read the Motorcyclist article called "Blowing the Lid Off" that was written in 2005? I stopped worrying too much about a specific standard and just made sure that whatever helmet I got had a well known standard on it.

No, never read that article, I don't get too many magazines either, and didn't back then. I have at least heard of "Motorcyclist".
I would have to research, but I think modulars usually only meet "DOT" standards, which I have to admit is a well-known standard. But you can buy a helmet that looks like the one on Col. Klink's desk that meets the DOT standard.

Yup that's the article.

Keep in mind a lot of those novelty helmets may have a "DOT" sticker but generally it's a fake DOT sticker and they don't actually meet the DOT standard. You can buy a whole sheet of "DOT" sticker dots if you want.

I won't go into details but the snell standard is so attuned to race cars it can actually be detrimental to motorcyclist needs. Too many variables in an accident, but the dot standard works well for us. Much like oil, ANY dot or snell helmet is better than non, new is usually better, and there is lots of anecdotal stuff out there.

Back