• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Proud new owner of 1978 R100S! Assistance requested!

jettagli16v

Hello everyone!

I am now the proud owner of a 1978 R100S, 45k miles. Been wanting one of these since I was growing up!! (Dad loves it, too) Yay! Extremely excited! It does need some TLC. The brake failure light comes on intermittently, thinking fluid low? Rear shocks are shot, and I know I need to go through all the fluids, make sure splines are lubed, air filter, carbs, etc. I would like to try and find some good used shocks as I'm not prepared to spend $400 on new ones yet. Where are some good places to look? I've been watching the Flea market, ebay and Internet BMW Riders.

Also need:

-New rubber seal for the(tool?) tray above the battery
-Owners Manual
-Toolkit
-Repair/service manual, looking for recommendations?
-right mirror

Will be looking for your expertise(s) on getting this beautiful bike in tip top form! A big thank you everyone for your help thus far!!! It is most appreciated

RePsycle!!!

http://www.re-psycle.com/
These guys can get you what you need, either new or used stuff, located just South of Columbus OH. Use the fisch major online BMW websites to determine what you need, make up a list and call it in. I have made countless trips there because it makes a nice ride for me. They have been very patient and informative in getting my '77 R100S up to snuff!

Hello everyone!

I am now the proud owner of a 1978 R100S, 45k miles. Been wanting one of these since I was growing up!! (Dad loves it, too) Yay! Extremely excited! It does need some TLC. The brake failure light comes on intermittently, thinking fluid low? Rear shocks are shot, and I know I need to go through all the fluids, make sure splines are lubed, air filter, carbs, etc. I would like to try and find some good used shocks as I'm not prepared to spend $400 on new ones yet. Where are some good places to look? I've been watching the Flea market, ebay and Internet BMW Riders.

Also need:

-New rubber seal for the(tool?) tray above the battery
-Owners Manual
-Toolkit
-Repair/service manual, looking for recommendations?
-right mirror

Will be looking for your expertise(s) on getting this beautiful bike in tip top form! A big thank you everyone for your help thus far!!! It is most appreciated

Congrats!
I got my '78 R100S a few years ago and enjoy riding it regularly.

Shocks aren't cheap, my came with a set of Koni which are sold now as Ikon shocks. They work well.

Be sure to bookmark and check Bob Fleischer's, AKA Snowbum, site http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/for maintenance and repair information as well as the Airheads Beemer Club http://www.airheads.org/.

Picture is on the Blue Ridge Parkway riding to the Gathering of the Clans Airhead Rally a couple of years ago.
Nick
93 K75S
91R100RT
78R100S

Attachments

• DSC03580.jpg
    DSC03580.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 175
Join the Airheads club.

Most state chapters hold "Tech days" where you show up with your bike and other members will be happy to show you how to maintain your bike.

PM me if you need any contact information for your local chapter.

Join the Airhead Beemer Club!

That is the Best thing

You can Do. We can teach you just about everything Airhead.

Congratulations on your new S.I've always been a fan of them,I was actually looking for one and ended up with a '78 R100RS instead.I have a set of original Boge shocks that came off a bike with 18,000 miles on it. I was going to post them on the flea market. Send me a message if you think you would be interested in them.
George

+1 abc

I too just became proud owner of a '78 R100S and I can wholeheartedly second the recommendation to join the Airheads Beemer Club (ABC) and start attending Tech Days (as well as the monthly Barley Therapy sessions). I just went to my first Tech Day, where the dozen or so sages in attendance stripped down a /7 in no time flat! It was an incredible learning experience, and much better to do it on someone else's bike. $25 bucks very well spent (joined MOA too, for that matter).

Back