• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Picked up a nail in my rear tire yesterday, fixed it today.

Yes, it's cold up here but sunny yesterday and had to go to Ottawa in the car.

175/65R14 :D

I tried a plug first but in keeping with my perfect record of 5 for 5, it slow leaked.
I put up with that all season on the bike and am not doing it anymore so using my beadbreaker and bike irons, got one side off and applied an internal patch.

It's easy lads, if you can peel a bike tire off an alloy rim without making any marks you can surely do the same with a car tire on a steel rim.
And when you're done, it pops back on without any fuss at about 30PSI. Nice!

If I lived near the tire guy I may not have tried, but I don't. My time was less than driving to town.
Independence is great!

I originally purchased my Harbor Freight tire changer to do bike tires, but now think I've done more car tires with it. It's way easier, for sure. I'm not even going to attempt tubeless motorcycle tires.

Yes, NO tire manufacturer approves externally applied plugs for flat repair. Easy to see why.

My next use of my changer may be for 265/60-18 tires with TPMS sensors. Since the sensors are about at the end of their battery life I may attempt it, but it's still worrisome. And those things are really heavy.

Still, it's fun to do car tires as it gives you the opportunity to get tirerack tires, clean the wheels a bit, install a "factory" air valve, align the balance marks, etc. These are all things it's pretty hard to get at a tire shop.

I originally purchased my Harbor Freight tire changer to do bike tires, but now think I've done more car tires with it. It's way easier, for sure. I'm not even going to attempt tubeless motorcycle tires.

Yes, NO tire manufacturer approves externally applied plugs for flat repair. Easy to see why.

My next use of my changer may be for 265/60-18 tires with TPMS sensors. Since the sensors are about at the end of their battery life I may attempt it, but it's still worrisome. And those things are really heavy.

Still, it's fun to do car tires as it gives you the opportunity to get tirerack tires, clean the wheels a bit, install a "factory" air valve, align the balance marks, etc. These are all things it's pretty hard to get at a tire shop.

Just keep your tire spoon away from the sensors when you insert it. I have two notes on my tire changer, Check for tire sensors & Dyna Beads. I don't want to mess up a sensor or make a mess with the beads.

Back