• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Took my bike in for a service 04 GSA

ind1mrg

I bought the bike new, even saw it in the crate and put together in 04. I took it in for the 600 mile service but that was the last time the dealer had their hands on it. I have done the oil changes way ahead of time, they say 6000 miles i say 3000 on eng oil and most of the time i do the trans and diff oil at those intervals. With only 17,000 on it now it did not get rode like i wanted untill i retired recently and now i have fell in love with the bike again. I knew i was messing up on the brake fluid flush but the fluid looked good through the site windows and down by your right foot. Anyway i got a break in the weather bit the bullet and went to the dealer to catch her up on some maintenance and i wanted to learn how. I watched and took notes on the procedures. The mechanic asked me is this really the first time this has been done as the fluid color was not really off much from new fluid and the screens in the ABS pump were clean. We did the valves, they were somewhat loose, and synchronized the throttle bodys. I wanted to see the alt belt, it was fine but BMW has got a special tool to adjust that of course. He hooked it up to the computer and there were no codes. Now that i am not afraid to do the fluid flush after i get the funnel and the bent just right wrench to loosen the bleeders on the ABS pump i will do this job myself more often. I am courious why the old fluid looked so good. I have adjusted valves on air heads before but paid the dealer to go through this also with me, neat trick putting all four feeler gauges in at the same time to get things right. The ride home did feel good and she did start up good and is quieter, now all i need is some better weather.

no clear idea on the clean looking brake fluid, other than lack of exposure to water might have kpt it in better condition.
but, you are doing youself, your bike and the environment no real favors by changing your oil so frequently. there are valid info sources that will tell you that "over-changing" it as you have been doing actually decreases the oil's ability to keep your engine clean. only the oil company(ies) and the seller are benefiting from that choice.
As you increase your ride time and miles/year, seriously consider extending your change intervals to the stated 6K, if not beyond.

I agree on the oil change comments by BF. I just don't get this fascination with changing oil at _twice_ the recommended intervals. The factory recommended intervals are on the safe side anyway so doubling up is unnecessary and wasteful. :nono
We should leave some so the kids can ride too.

Just my opinion of course. It's a free continent. :D

Back