• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

VIN History Lookup

jettagli16v

How/where can you do a vehicle history lookup on a 1978 BMW R100S? I have found a few sites on here to decode the VIN, but none to find a vehicle history. Thank you!

I've never heard of a bike-specific site that'd present this information. Perhaps CarFax would provide some of it.

A BMW dealer can query BMWNA's computer to report what recalls have been done (and not done) on a specific bike, as well as what service (if any) has been performed on the bike by BMW dealers. I don't know if such a search would return service accomplished by BMW dealers in other countries.

A BMW dealer can query BMWNA's computer to report what recalls have been done (and not done) on a specific bike, as well as what service (if any) has been performed on the bike by BMW dealers.

I've always been told, dealers can only search what recalls have been done to a bike, not the service history.

Interesting how we assume technology that exists today existed in 1978.

As previously noted, dealer may be able to find out about warranty work performed, but that's going to be it. And, you can tell whether it has the new front wheel by looking at it. CarFax doesn't do motorcycles.

What "history" are you looking for? The mechanical/service history or the owner history?

Look in the top of the file that is linked in my sig line. There is a section called Model Information and Specficiations. A few of those links will only provide the month and year of build. Except for the other suggestions, that is the only history that I'm aware of.

what Kent said in post #4.

Not so sure, if the dealers will be a big help in finding out if whether all the paperwork is legit.
You can go to your state BMV (title office) and ask whether they do a title search. Some do for a fee. It will tell you if the title is O.K. or if it has some shady history.

Let's be frank here.

When you're buying a used vehicle, especially a motorcycle, you do your due diligence in examining it, asking the seller questions, and maybe even getting a test ride. If the seller has recorded all of his maintenance and repairs and saved receipts, awesome. If he hasn't, then you ask him questions and you either believe him or you don't.

When I bought my first airhead, a '77 R100RS some 13 years ago, I trusted the seller. I actually worked at the same company as his wife. He was actually selling his brother's motorcycle, and that brother lived out of state. The BMW was in the guy's garage along with many other motorcycles, some pristine, others in various states of repair. This was a guy who worked on motorcycles, and he told me that both he and his brother always kept up on maintenance. Much of that turned out to be BS. There were a LOT of things the bike needed, many of which I determined before I bought it, and many of which I had no idea. I did end up purchasing the bike for a fair price, but in the next couple of years, I had to put a lot more into it.

I bought my second airhead on eBay, from a seller about 400 miles from my house. After winning the auction, I called the seller on the phone, and we made arrangements for me to come and pick up the bike. I was concerned. I bought this bike, sight unseen, from someone I didn't know. This seller handed me a folder that had a history of the motorcycle, previous owners, previous repairs, all maintenance and updates made to the bike, etc. It was a nice package. The seller was an awesome guy, he let me take the bike for a test ride, we had coffee and chatted for an hour before we loaded the bike on a trailer for me to take home. I most definitely hit a homerun on this purchase.

The bottom line is that it's a mixture of examining the evidence, and trusting your instincts. If you've got someone who's knowledgeable about airheads, then fantastic! That's a great resource.

FAXVIN results

Hi newbie here. I just got a 2003 k1200gt and started my search for prior owners. Didn't get very far. Your reference to links was very helpful. Thanks fellows.

I went to carfax got nothing but one reference to 2011. From Faxvin, better, I got title hits on 2013, 2016, 2017. I will ask the DMV if they can provide. Funny how these service ask for money and not find anything. Also I went to a bmw dealer requesting history on the bike. I got the we only keep our records. I am sure BMWNA has all the records. The federal govt probably has it all too.

Prior owner bought his from a BMW dealer who wrote, 10+ yrs old mileage reporting not required on the registration form. Saved him time on forms but a black hole creator.

Is there anyway to get what the Fed Government has on a particular VIN? Homeland Security probably knows. Anybody know a BMWNA employee with ability to do a search? Can I slip someone a $50 bill for what service was done countrywide?

My advice is to forget about the small stuff and ride on.

Regards

The BMW NA computer system is very complete with the history of 4-wheel BMWs. Any time that a 4-wheeler shows up at a dealer for the service which is included in the price, a series of comments are entered. This history is nationwide, so that if you take your car into any BMW dealer, its history will be available to that dealership. For the modern cars, that is, about 2005 to present a lot of information is stored in the key fob, so that error codes, etc. are displayed for the service associate.

For 2-wheelers, the system is not nationwide for service history. It's held by individual dealers, so that the only way you'd really get to know what was done is if prior owners kept records. BMW considers the data for cars proprietary so it's not easy to get complete service history. For 2-wheelers it does not exist.

BMW does have an online website for looking up recalls for motorcycles. You'll need only the last 7 digits of your VIN to check. See it here: https://nhtsa.bmwgroup.com/safetyrecall/pages/motorradRecallSearch.xhtml

You can also use the last 7 digits of your vin to get the production date of your bike, and its original equipment. See: https://www.bmwvin.com

I hope this helps.

The BMW NA computer system is very complete with the history of 4-wheel BMWs. Any time that a 4-wheeler shows up at a dealer for the service which is included in the price, a series of comments are entered. This history is nationwide, so that if you take your car into any BMW dealer, its history will be available to that dealership. For the modern cars, that is, about 2005 to present a lot of information is stored in the key fob, so that error codes, etc. are displayed for the service associate.

For 2-wheelers, the system is not nationwide for service history. It's held by individual dealers, so that the only way you'd really get to know what was done is if prior owners kept records. BMW considers the data for cars proprietary so it's not easy to get complete service history. For 2-wheelers it does not exist.

BMW does have an online website for looking up recalls for motorcycles. You'll need only the last 7 digits of your VIN to check. See it here: https://nhtsa.bmwgroup.com/safetyrecall/pages/motorradRecallSearch.xhtml

You can also use the last 7 digits of your vin to get the production date of your bike, and its original equipment. See: https://www.bmwvin.com

I hope this helps.

bmwvin.com is not working anymore for a long time. I used the site as well, but after couple of tests I found bmwvinreport.com. They give you the same report as you get from the dealership.

Back