Hi, I wanted to update my current situation and seek more advise.
I replaced the brushes and brush plate on starter#1. Well it seems like all the bashing on the side of the starter over the summer caused one of the four magnets to loosen from the wall . Pulled the starter again, cleaned again, and used some JB weld to hold the magnet back in place. It continued to be intermittent starting and I've now become pretty good and pushing my bike down the block uphill to bumpstart the bike. Neighbours are probably giggling at me by now.
I made the decision to purchase a used starter#2 and installed it running the last month on my K that I've now affectionately named Bert. I wanted to take starter #2 apart to clean but the bolt heads are a different size and my socket would not fit deep enough to get a good grip. This weekend, I intend to get the correct tool accessory and do a proper cleaning.
I'm jumping around in my story a bit but just wanted to highlight some pertinent facts to perhaps help in trouble shooting my problem that is:
On occasion, I still need to bumpstart Bert and after riding a bit, I part him and I can tell if he will need a bumpstart because things are normal when I turn off the ignition and I hear a distinct 'clunk' from underneath the bike. If I don't, as soon as I try to restart him, I will hear the whirring of the starter but the engine will not kick over.
Other things I've done correctly and incorrectly:
- -Ran car engine oil 10/40 for about a year WHOOPS
-added Rislone engine treatment (not sure if I purchased the recommended one, see next line)
-added Rislone engine treatment "Concentrated", took Bert for a 100+ mile ride last night making sure I to ride part of the way at 5000+ RPMs
-changed oil regularly but about a year ago back to bike oil.
I really want to get Bert working because if I take him on a ferry and have to stop, he's not going to be reliable come startup.
Welcome your feedback (and loud heckles if you are into that sort of thing)