• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to clean a windshield

moralem

I have a stock windshield in need of a good cleaning. What do use to get the grime off of it without scratching it? Thanks.

I dampen a cotton towel in warm water with a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid in it and place it over the windshield for a few minutes. Then I spray with Lexus plastic cleaner and polish with soft microfiber cloths.

Any auto parts store will have a lot of choices made specifically for poly windshields, some cleaners, some scratch removers, some restorers. Just stop look and read. $6-10 should cover it.

Use an old worn out 100% cotton T shirt or towel.. Don't use paper towels! If the 'grime doesn't come off real easy, don't scrub, re-soak it, or you run the risk of scratching the shield with the grime that you are trying to remove. Lots of us have good luck with Pledge or similar products.

I dampen a cotton towel in warm water with a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid in it and place it over the windshield for a few minutes. Then I spray with Lexus plastic cleaner and polish with soft microfiber cloths.

This is the way to do it.

Need to soften those scratchy dried insects.

+100 for Plexus. Makes the next cleaning easier too.

I was told by a guy who makes plexiglass wind screens for boats, to use metal polish such as Blue Max on an old Correct Craft speed boat I had. The wind screen was cloudy and I was going to have him make me a new one. Well he saved me a fortune, and I have used this method for years on soft top windows on Jeeps and any clear plastics. It works! One other trick is to use brand new cotton diapers. Do not use old cotton cloths that have been washed and dried because every time they are washed you are adding minerals to the cloth from the water. This is why they feel a little rough as they get older. I have saved many plastic parts this way on classic cars and boats I have owned. Novus plastic polish is good also. But I get great results with the metal polish. Been doing this for about 30 years.

I like to first spray both sides liberally with the garden hose. My hope is to wash away abrasive particles as gently as possible before I start rubbing on the plastic. No paper towels, I use old (clean) dish drying cloths or parts of flannel sheets for mine.
From there sometimes pledge, sometimes good old car wax. I've used Plexus & just feel that the others work better and incidentally are a bit less costly. I've tried Hydrogen Peroxide(which is claimed to do a good job dissolving insect remains) with no advantage found. Ammonia is best completely avoided.

Some time ago I read a very good article on the IBMWR that claimed that polishing up and down was better than side to side or in circles. Reportedly this was due to the inevitable mini scratches being less distorting under glaring light (headlights or low sun).

Plexus, cleans and polishes. Spray, let stand and wipe thoroughly with clean soft cloth.

That is what I use but a friend swears by Lemon Pledge since is is easier to find and much cheaper. I bought his 5 year old scooter and the windshield looked new. He says only Lemon Pledge works (and he uses it on the other plastic).

Soaking in water loosens the crud. Wet a terrycloth rag, and place it over the screen. After awhile, the bugs will soften and can be removed with a soft, damp cloth. Then polish as you wish

If it's really cruddy when I'm on the road, every few days I dismount the screen (four bolts), and put it in the bathtub and let it soak awhile. If at home, I use the hot tub.

Last edited:
That is what I use but a friend swears by Lemon Pledge since is is easier to find and much cheaper. I bought his 5 year old scooter and the windshield looked new. He says only Lemon Pledge works (and he uses it on the other plastic).

I use nothing but Lemon Pledge. I suspect Plexus is probably a better product, since it's designed to clean plastic, but Lemon Pledge works very well.

As others have said, use cloth, not paper, to clean windshields.

I've got to believe that, if you've got a windshield that's fairly well splatter with bugs, it would be best to soak the shield down first with a wet towel before jumping right into using a spray cleaner.

Cleaning the Windshield

The best thing I have found is UltraLuster. It has 4 polymers. Two that coat dirt particles and makes them smoothe and slippery, then 2 more that leave a nice finish.
Just spray on, buff with a new cotton wash cloth and buff until the haze disappears then finish wiping with a microfiber cloth. Will remove dirt, bugs,and road grime without scratching the windshield. I have used it and now sell it.:D

I use nothing but Lemon Pledge. I suspect Plexus is probably a better product, since it's designed to clean plastic, but Lemon Pledge works very well.

As others have said, use cloth, not paper, to clean windshields.

I've got to believe that, if you've got a windshield that's fairly well splatter with bugs, it would be best to soak the shield down first with a wet towel before jumping right into using a spray cleaner.

+1 on the Lemon Pledge used it for years, actually reduces the bugs from sticking.

Sure Plexus is good stuff but at around $2 or more an ounce I find plenty of other stuff that can do the same job in a more cost efficient manner. Soap and water for example. Just keep the soap concentration low or you will ruin the coating layer of your windshield.

+1 on Lemon Pledge as a cleaner protectant. Works very well at a fraction of the cost of Plexus. You can also use it on your side bags as well. Cleans and brightens them up nicely.

Back