• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Long term storage 1975 R90/6

zenduddhist

Hi Folks,

I have a 1975 R90/6 that I have removed the carbs, fenders, gas tank, seat, etc. Basically, it's just a frame, engine, transmission, drivetrain, wheels, tires and handlebars.

The engine is in great shape, about 37,000 miles. No problems with anything as far as I know. I used this as a donor bike to refurbish my other '75. The reason this was the donor bike was because the paint job on this one was horrendous. Also had the Lufty fairing, etc. Ugly, but in great shape. Engine is pretty clean, no grease, oil stains, etc.

Anyhow, my original plan was to sell this to a parts supplier or on ebay, craigslist, etc.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it would be best to hang on to it. It would probably make a fun project to refurbish it someday. However, right now I am doing a '74 Norton Commando.

So, I am asking what steps I can take to make sure it's stored properly. It still has all of the fluids in the engine, tranny, etc. Should I drain everything? Fill everthing to the brim? Spray something in the cylinders? Open as many drains, holes, etc. so it can breathe? Or should I button it up tight to try and keep moisture out of it? It will be stored in a waterproof area, but subject to ambient temperatures 0 degrees to 100 degrees.

Should I take the wheels and tires off or just jack it up?

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated....

Thanks!

Couple of quick comments

Turn the cylinders to top dead center and squirt a bit of engine oil in there. That way very little of the cylinder walls can be exposed to air. 1974 Norton? I am finishing up a 1975 Norton, just some wiring to go and have a nearly complete (no engine) 1970 Norton all in boxes ready for assembly. Problem is I have no interest in either of them, I want more BMW's! Where do you live? Maybe we should talk!
Seriously.
Regards,
Kurt

Turn the cylinders to top dead center and squirt a bit of engine oil in there. That way very little of the cylinder walls can be exposed to air. 1974 Norton? I am finishing up a 1975 Norton, just some wiring to go and have a nearly complete (no engine) 1970 Norton all in boxes ready for assembly. Problem is I have no interest in either of them, I want more BMW's! Where do you live? Maybe we should talk!
Seriously.
Regards,
Kurt

Great! just what I need... another project! You can email me at ccmmcc@gmail.com but I live in Ohio.

Back