• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

Age, A Wisdom thing:)

We get more of it(wisdom), as we age for sure. Memories are great, planning future memories are even "greater" to us, as we watch the clock spin faster and faster. I'm trying hard to NOT slow up and have hit my 60 mark. Also, this coming year or so I am about to ride my ONE Millionth mile, so bikes have been so very huge in my life and it would be irresponsible to avoid them this last quarter:). My best memories have been of ALL of you folks here and on the open roads of NAmerica, meeting the best this life has to offer on a m/c...It continues to the very end for me:). Very active life for me too; Biker,Pilot,Sailor,Horseman,Rancher and my wife too rides her own. ALL my kids now ride GSs, with 6 of em now in the family "behind" me of course:). All adventurers, so I am proud and still lead the pack....My GSA1200:). This bike seems BIGGER every time I get on it now,hmmmm? Just need a larger stool, LOL.... Randy

And then there's KenF's dad who rode an Iron Butt 1000 to the PA rally and never complained about the heat. And to the Missouri International with a BB1500 miles in 24 hours. He's over 80. Usually the hottest contested award at Branson is decided among 4 riders - all over 80.

Voni
sMiling

We don't really "loose" our hair, its a matter of "redistribution" as we get older. Once we pass the "why am I getting hair here?" at those tender young years, the redistribution has already begun.

If the head is north and the feet south, as we men age, many of us find the hair is still there, it just keeps moving "south" for warmer climates.

I no longer have a fourhead, more like a fivehead, the hair just keeps creeping backwards!

We don't really "loose" our hair, its a matter of "redistribution" as we get older. Once we pass the "why am I getting hair here?" at those tender young years, the redistribution has already begun.

If the head is north and the feet south, as we men age, many of us find the hair is still there, it just keeps moving "south" for warmer climates.

I no longer have a fourhead, more like a fivehead, the hair just keeps creeping backwards!

I guess I am just getting more hair then. :)

I'm turning 65 on Wednesday (Feb 6th) and still doing 600/700 mile days with friends and my brother who's two years older. Are we missing something?

I'm turning 65 on Wednesday (Feb 6th) and still doing 600/700 mile days with friends and my brother who's two years older. Are we missing something?

Sitting around getting old and wondering what you missed in life. Keep moving.. it will keep you alive and well :clap

Well I just turned seventy-four last week and at 5'8" and 165lbs I can still wrestle my 06RT around fairly easily. I still ride it like I stole it and like I'm immortal. That's what I do for fun when I'm not competing in IPSC ( a pistol athletic competition with lots of running and shooting ). I plan to be that ninety year old kid riding the high desert on vacation whenever I feel like it. I may have to grow old but I don't have to grow up. I stay away from doctors as a general rule except for my mandatory flight physicals. When I was a teen aged gas pump jockey one of my favorite customers was a doctor. Great guy and really good doctor he told me the safest way to live was away from cities and doctors and he died at age 42 from a heart attack. Scuse the rant I'm going to get myself another cup of coffee.

Genetic heritage, lifestyle and lots of luck and maybe you get to ride in the last quarter

I have to agree with this....we are all different & as such will age differently....period! I do not believe there is any magic bullet , or perfect lifestyle. Yes there are bad lifestyles that should be avoided. But {IMO} 4oz of carrots~v~5oz of broccoli doesn't matter. Genetics are the great ruler.

Yesterday at the store, bending down to get a can of coffee from the bottom shelf ....hurt .....today I've done all sorts of things....no pain. To go on would be rambling , so that's my point and opinion.

A lot depends on our gene pool as to how long we get to do what we want to do.

Sat around a few evenings ago with my wife and my daughter's in-laws. Listened to the three of them complain about just how much their pains (knees, wrists, etc.) have increased in the past five years now that they have reached sixty-five. I don't get the aches and pains that they talk about; no joint discomfort here. My dad didn't get any of those ailments until he turned eight-one. He stayed sharp right to the end. Like him, I exercise almost every day. Figure that gives me another fifteen years of riding. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if in ten years I opt for an 800cc to lighten from my current two RTs. :dance

I JUST turned 66 and will receive my first social security check in a few days.

I just want to take take this opportunity to thank all the younger people on this board for getting out of bed in the morning and getting to work on time to help pay for my retirement benefits and my riding habit. So remember, when that alarm goes off in the early morning, just think of us older gents and ladies who are depending on you.

Thank you very much. ;)

Last edited:
Back