• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

A lot of us are in the same boat it seems. I'm 65 and have thought about many of these same realities in life. I would say not to waste too much time thinking about the realities but more time doing something to live a more fruitful, fulfilling life. Think positive and do something special for yourself. Sometimes all it takes is getting a real pair of motorcycle boots, remember when you were a kid? I got a real pair when I was in my 50's and what a difference it made. I couldn't wait to ride my bike and show off those new boots. I could ride faster, longer and look good doing it. That's the way I felt anyway and that's OK.

I think lack of activity and stress are the big killers and we all have to figure out the best way to approach these. I mountain climb and play basketball two time a week for exercise. Is it doing any good? I don't know but it's better than rusting away.

As far as stress, I moved 12 thousand miles away from my business in Texas. I have someone taking care of it now, and yes I make less money, but I don't lie in bed every night or wake up in the morning thinking about it.

And if you do get to old to throw your leg over your bike, sell it and buy a scooter and keep going. Don't let age be the determiner in what you can or can not do. And, actually the closer you get to the end of a roll of toilet paper, the slower it goes; you are afraid of running out, so you use less.

And if you do get to old to throw your leg over your bike, sell it and buy a scooter and keep going. Don't let age be the determiner in what you can or can not do. And, actually the closer you get to the end of a roll of toilet paper, the slower it goes; you are afraid of running out, so you use less.
If your eyesight holds out, a maxi-scooter may add years to your riding. I bought a maxi-scooter a few month ago (Burgman 400) because I rode a friend's maxi-scooter and wanted one. I'm not ready to get rid of my motorcycle at 65 but I can see the day coming. I find myself riding the scooter far more than my motorcycle because it is more convenient for errands and is easier to ride because it is automatic and the weight is very low. It will easily do more than 100, will maintain any speed limit and handles as well or better than my motorcycle. It also gets 15 MPG more than the motorcycle.

I have two older friends who still ride motorcycles (77 & 79) but would be better off with a maxi-scooter. I think their reluctance is because they don't want to be seen as wimpy and less manly. It reminds me of my Dad and uncles in the late 50s. The would not buy a car with an automatic transmission, power steering or power brakes. They thought they would not be in control of a car and would be considered less than manly if they drove a car that shifted by itself and they had assistance in steering and braking. As they aged and unassisted cars became harder to find, my Dad and uncles went to automatic and power assisted vehicles. Once they got them, they didn't want to go back.

I bought a Sportster in 2005 after not riding for over 25 years. Now I'm 70 and have traveled over 65K miles on several different bikes. I look forward to the Rally in Salem,
OR and a "busy" retirement. RIDE SAFE.

Well... (good thread)

I am now 66. Two years ago, after having to re-career later in life, I made an "executive decision" that I wanted to ride more and wrench less. (My '79 airhead was getting heavy on the wrenching side.) So I raided my 401k (with my bride's concurrance) and bought an '08 RT. Now, while still in the work pool and taking additional classes, I'm making absolutely sure I get in my riding time (along with fishing, making sawdust, and playing with grand-daughter.)

While the bean-counters will challenge the financial wisdom, "recent events" (you'll get my drift) with high school and college friends, colleagues, and family members have all reaffirmed the emotional value of my decison to live more and better while I can. I'm doing my best to not neglect family or civic duty, but I AM consciously managing my time better. Don't know how many more years I'll be able to hang onto the RT, but I plan to make the best of what I do have.

BTW - got the "eyeball overhaul" (lens replacements for cataracts) in both eyes not too long before I got the RT. So I'm good to go in that department. Now all I need is an attitude transplant...

Regards,
Marty

Another little piece of wisdom I like to quote to my friends when they get to feeling old and thinking they might quit having fun: Don't wait too long or you will be too sick or too old or too dead.

Or the saying, "I didn't give up motorcycling because I got old, I got old because I gave up motorcycling."

Jeez Andy, if you'd started riding last year you'd have a WAY bigger percentage of riding left in your career.
Maybe start something new like 'Stunting', or Skydiving.

:D

Maybe we should rename this thread "favorite saying of older riders."

The older I get the faster I was.

The big thing is that you have to have a plan and be realistic. Age is an issue, I'm currently 64 and realize that my strength, reaction time etc are less/slower than they used to be and ride accordingly. Type/size of bike may also enter into the picture and I take my riding days a year at a time.

As individuals we have to make the choice based on our own abilities and not what somebody else is doing. Yes there are 85 yr olds riding motorcycles but that doesn't mean they should be.

The big thing is that you have to have a plan and be realistic. Age is an issue, I'm currently 64 and realize that my strength, reaction time etc are less/slower than they used to be and ride accordingly. Type/size of bike may also enter into the picture and I take my riding days a year at a time.

As individuals we have to make the choice based on our own abilities and not what somebody else is doing. Yes there are 85 yr olds riding motorcycles but that doesn't mean they should be.

I agree with all of this. My "plan" is to ride [a motorcycle] as long as I can safely [for myself & others]...then perhaps a sidecar..or maybe a scooter, and just stay local,no X-ways. I seriously doubt most 80+ yr,old's SHOULD be riding a M/C. And if I'm not able to safely,... long before that? I hope I'm smart enough to realize it...:brow

Two, When I attend motorcycle functions ,rallies, meets, etc. The age overall of the group seems to be...not-young. Allot of grey hair is evident.
I think the motorcycling community in general is aging ? Don't know why ?...

Ron

Cost is a big factor and today's younger folks have lower paying jobs, with less benefits and more educational debt. In addition, I don't think we have a "romance" with travel any more. I just don't hear of people being excited to go anywhere, which I find to be really strange.

True about the funds issue, but also about the adventure aspect of life. Perhaps if the younger generation had the funds they would expand into more than the life of tech they live (video games, etc) and actually get out a do things.

I dirt bike ride also, and participate in some of the large organized off-road rides here in Wisconsin. Last one I did was last October. When we stopped for a big lunch, it was kind of comical to look around the crowd. Mostly all guys my age (55), though the median age was likely about 45. But a LOT of not obviously "trim" guys walking around in full off-road gear. At least we weren't wasting a beautiful fall day walking around a mall or golf course.

I'm 67 and cannot ride modern BMWs. My old airhead was fine but it had a low center of gravity. My bikes get smaller and lower and there is probably a scooter in my future (the BMW one is still too high and heavy.) I made the decision that it was worth going into debt to do some dream riding now while I still can. Not major debt and I'm working hard in the winter to pay it off each year but enough that I can do the rides I want and pay when I can't ride anymore. I'll pay those bills with a smile. (Besides interest rates are low and I have a limit on how much I'm willing to borrow.) I can't run (old injury) but do my best to stay in shape--lots of walking and riding. When I was 64, I climbed the Macau Tower so not doing too badly for a little old lady.

Attachments

• PC240204-S.jpg
    PC240204-S.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 202
Cost is a big factor and today's younger folks have lower paying jobs, with less benefits and more educational debt. In addition, I don't think we have a "romance" with travel any more. I just don't hear of people being excited to go anywhere, which I find to be really strange.

"I just don't hear of people being excited to go anywhere, which I find to be really strange.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with that!! Just talking to folks 10-20 years younger than I....most just don't care? I've heard..."I've seen the Grand Canyon on the net" ?

I suppose? the internet has brought the world to them?...as such they find no desire to get out and see it?:scratch ......what a shame, {IMO}

Ron

.Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

Andy, thanks for starting an interesting thread.

I'm 66 years old and lucky to be in good health. Last year I started thinking that my riding days were probably limited to another 10 years. My daily ride was a Harley police bike (FLHPI), but I use to ride sport bikes and really enjoyed it. I came to the realization that I wanted a lighter bike, but it didn't have to be boring.

I bought a K1200R Sport and couldn't be happier. It's 300 lbs lighter than my Harley and handles so much better. Whoever said old guys should ride baggers needs to climb on a K bike!

I'm fairly convinced that a large part of Harley's popularity is due to the American rider older demographic: 45+ in years, a bit "girthy", room OVER the fuel tank for front-overhang load, bad hips/knees/back, inability to swing a leg high enough for many higher bikes, low seat height, low center of gravity, easy demeanor.

I bet it would be much different if many of those same riders were more trim, didn't have the physical issues.

I work part time floor sales at a BMW cycle dealership, and it is almost embarrasing to watch some riders my age, older and some younger, that cannot swing a leg over a BMW. Many look like a slug trying to slide over the seat and climb on.

I can't talk smart too much as I have a beer/pizza donated bit of frontal overhang that I am working to diminish. Not the beer and pizza, the overhang. But I am able to stand alongside almost any BMW and swing a leg clear over the bike. So its time for me to get exercising to insure I can continue to do that and enjoy the ride.

I'm fairly convinced that a large part of Harley's popularity is due to the American rider older demographic: 45+ in years, a bit "girthy", room OVER the fuel tank for front-overhang load, bad hips/knees/back, inability to swing a leg high enough for many higher bikes, low seat height, low center of gravity, easy demeanor.

I bet it would be much different if many of those same riders were more trim, didn't have the physical issues.

I work part time floor sales at a BMW cycle dealership, and it is almost embarrasing to watch some riders my age, older and some younger, that cannot swing a leg over a BMW. Many look like a slug trying to slide over the seat and climb on.

I can't talk smart too much as I have a beer/pizza donated bit of frontal overhang that I am working to diminish. Not the beer and pizza, the overhang. But I am able to stand alongside almost any BMW and swing a leg clear over the bike. So its time for me to get exercising to insure I can continue to do that and enjoy the ride.

A lot of us, me included just don't have a long enough inseam. The BMW's that I've sat on/owned are too high for me. I can get buy OK when riding solo but once you get them loaded up with 2 folks etc then they become too top heavy. Many other bikes I've sat on from the Japanese manufactures are similar in height, so I have the same problem with them. Bad knees, backs etc come with age and there is not always a lot you can do about it. We all pay for past sins.

Very much of what you say is..unfortunately true. I have some of the extra frontal that you noted. And I have some arthritis setting in. One thing I've begun that really helps the hip range of motion that you also noted. Is simple 'hip' exercises. Frog squats,maybe some [light] weighted squats couple times a week, and a side-to-side skiing , skating type motion [body weight]. Anything to move your hips past the normal range of motion, and no power lifting required.Say 75-100 reps p/day, most days of the week.It really does seem to help in the swing a leg department.

I too am somewhat inseam "challenged", I'm 5'-6" with a 30" inseam on a good day. One thing that has certainly helped me is confidence in handling my 94 RS (stock height and custom seat), and that has come from regular training sessions as a MSF instructor. Which brings up the point that as we age the need for training and updates becomes even more apparent and needed.

Back