• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cameras for motorcycle camping

mcclimans84rt said:
Well, like I thought...it was just too good to be true ;) The emails were getting weirder as we went along. the seller was from Seattle and in one email said that the check was to be sent to Florida to his mother in law and gave me the address. The sellers contact info did include a phone number so I called and discovered that the seller didnt have any idea what was going on. He had no camera and hadnt used ebay for quite some time. Thank God I didn't send off my $$

Glad you didn't get stung. Gee, a D2x w/ SB800 for that price would be quite the deal. You haven't seen the D200 yet, have you?

dancogan said:
Glad you didn't get stung. Gee, a D2x w/ SB800 for that price would be quite the deal. You haven't seen the D200 yet, have you?

Yeah, that wouldve been a steal! I'm definately going to look into the 200 when it comes out.

threeflys said:
Did you alert E-bay? I would if you have not.
Sorry to hear, but glad you didn't send any money!
Chris

Yeah, I did send them an email...it took quite awhile trying to figure out how to contact them since almost all of the contact links seemed to be geared for sellers. Gosh, Ive even got an address for this person...It seems that it would be easy to do something as far as law enforcement. They could send a "marked" check or something & when they go to cash it...snag them.

mcclimans84rt said:
Yeah, I did send them an email...it took quite awhile trying to figure out how to contact them since almost all of the contact links seemed to be geared for sellers. Gosh, Ive even got an address for this person...It seems that it would be easy to do something as far as law enforcement. They could send a "marked" check or something & when they go to cash it...snag them.

But that would assume that E-Bay wants to lift a finger to stop this kind of stuff. From what I've heard from others, one of whom lost $1,000 on a scam, E-Bay doesn't seem much interested in getting involved. Any experiences out there?

dancogan said:
But that would assume that E-Bay wants to lift a finger to stop this kind of stuff. From what I've heard from others, one of whom lost $1,000 on a scam, E-Bay doesn't seem much interested in getting involved. Any experiences out there?

Yeah...this deal seemed weird from the get-go...seemed too good to be true...there was no description other than what they cut & pasted from the manuf specs...plus this person didnt know English well enough to use correct words, spelling etc. THEn gave me some story about sending the money to his mother in law in another state!
Ive never been taken on Ebay & most sellers are MORE than happy to make a deal right if something is wrong. One gave me a refund on a video that wouldnt play for me (& didnt ask for it back). I bought a taylor guitar which was beautiful & better than described. But another time I bought a bass thinking it was an american model with an SKB case & the description given was almost misleading. I got it & the Mexican serial number had been sanded off the headstock and it was an off brand case. After several nasty emails & reports etc the guy still thinks I was the one who defaced it & lied. He Never did anything to correct it & didnt care that the case was not what he listed. At least I didnt get totally screwed. :violin

KBasa said:
Woah. Will that take my old K1000 and ME lenses? That'd sure save me a lot of aggravation.
Yes, Mr. President - indeed it do! At least for the Pentax 'ist D' model now on the market. Check it out!

Attachments

• pentax.jpg
    pentax.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 290
Nikon D50

I favor Nikon's entry level digital SLR - the D50.
But Canon makes a good entry level D-SLR also. Just depends on which flavor you like and which line of lenses you want to buy into.

IndyGT said:
I favor Nikon's entry level digital SLR - the D50.
But Canon makes a good entry level D-SLR also. Just depends on which flavor you like and which line of lenses you want to buy into.

And if you want to spend a bit more, the d200 is nice as well.

ian408 said:
And if you want to spend a bit more, the d200 is nice as well.

Have you seen one yet? I'm on the list with B&H, but really don't want a "first run." I had one of the early F5's, and although Nikon took good care of me, it did have to go back and get exchanged.

dancogan said:
Have you seen one yet? I'm on the list with B&H, but really don't want a "first run." I had one of the early F5's, and although Nikon took good care of me, it did have to go back and get exchanged.

Thats a good point. I'll wait a bit & maybe find a used one.

reminds me of ...

ian408 said:
Almost. The CoolPix 950, handheld :D

Which might surprise some of you as it is an early model digital. Which goes
to show that it's not so much the arrow as it is the Indian.

Although technology does help but it's not the most important thing.

Ian

That reminds me of a joke/anecdote:

A photographer is invited to dinner with a group of people. He brings some of his latest work for them to look at. After looking at them, the hostess says, "Those are some beautiful photos--you must have some very nice cameras." The photographer just smiled.

After dinner, he was taking his leave, and he pulled the hostess aside. "That was a delicious dinner." he said, "You must have some very nice pots."

:doh

nospamsatx said:
That reminds me of a joke/anecdote:

Reminds me of another photography joke:

A photographer is getting ready to photograph two hard of hearing girls and in the process says to the girls, " I need to focus". One of the gals leans to the other and says, "What did he say?" . The other leans back and says," He says he needs to focus". The other gals leans back and says. "Bothus? "
;)

I have been lugging around my Nikon D70 which is an awesome piece for the casual consumer (me)

That said I just bought my wife a new Nikon P2 for Christmas, very cool and compact. I will probably use it more than her.

Back