• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

question about brakes on an 06 RT and an 07rt

mwlust49

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to BMW's. I'm currently looking at two R1200RT's one is an 06 and the other is an 07. The bikes are equal in all aspects with one exception the 06 has ESA. I understand that in 07 BMW made a change to the ABS system to make it easier to change the fluid and service the ABS. Is this true and is it a big deal? I realize you change abs brake fluid every four years. I'm leaning towards the 06 only because it has the ESA and its black. thanks Mike

There were ABS changes between those two years and the service aspects you mention were minor side effects of the change. Short version: the '06 has power brakes. The '07 doesn't. The power, servo, whizzy, or any of the eleventy seven other names given to the brakes used from roughly '02~'06 are a love them or hate them item for many riders. The feel is different from other brakes. Some riders can't stand them.

You need to test ride each type to see if the difference is something that care about. If you like them try moving the bike around with key off... That's what the brake will feel like if you lose power. It's a completely different feel.

Check into and compare the service cost to replace the brake fluid, because BMWs with Servo-Assist brakes can cost a lot more to flush the brake system properly and requires special tools. I have heard of rear brake servo-assist problems because the brakes were not properly serviced.

Thanks for the input, I'm looking into the service procedure for both systems. One more question. Is the ESA system worth having? I live in Phoenix and do enjoy riding the mountain roads. Thanks again.

ESA is nice to have. I too have an 06 RT and am very happy with my "wizzy" brakes. The service interval is two years not four and I do the flush myself at a cost of about $20.00 for DOT 4 brake fluid. The whole service is a half day procedure that even ham handed "me" can do without trouble.

fluid change on 06

I also have an 06 and found information in the tech subforum that made it possible to change the brake fluid myself. I'll be doing it again this winter (if winter doesn't end before I can get the bike inside) and am going to put speed bleeders on this time. I would suggest you get all the speed bleeders and the funnel with the threaded fitting before you start. It's not hard to do but there are many steps in the procedure. Also, I used a LOT of brake fluid to insure everything was flushed well.

Mike,

Don't think that BLACK was a color available from the factory in '06.
Think there was a dark grey.

If it's BLACK
Might want to ask why the bike was painted?

Dmilan

Pro-ESA! :)

I'm an ESA advocate. I enjoy the ability to change the dampening characteristics on the fly depending on the roads you encounter along the way. Take a note though that in order to change between the three different rider/rider luggage/two up selections you will need to be stopped in order to change those. This isn't a problem as you usually don't have a bag or person land on your bike while your riding.
OK call me lazy! :thumb

I've had it on my 08 GT, 05 RT and now 06 RT.

Rebuilding ESA shocks. The 05 I had last year had the shocks tuned by Works Performance which was the same cost as buying ohlins and they worked awesome. The downside is if the ESA computer/shock parts go, it can be $$$.

The whizzy brakes are ok and I also do my own servicing on them. Just follow the instructions found here and elsewhere. Without power however there is just a lot less grab should one ever loose the servo or when the key is off.

Good luck, either way you'll enjoy the bike!

Back