• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 First Ride

Got out Fri, Sat and Sun here in NE Ohio. Even after the heavy rains we had the roads were pretty nasty. By the time I was ready to put the bike back to bed it looked like a salt lick. Had to drag out the hose and turn the water back on and give the girl a good scrubbing. I have my pipes set up so that they will drain out by themselves so the hardest part was draining the 100' of hose and putting it away. Another nice day and we will do it all over again.
Jeff

..it's all the salt and sand on the roads. A few hours of riding are not worth the corrosion damage. :cry

No sand on the roads around here...it's 100% salt. Such are the joys of living near a huge salt mine. Every roads dept. in the county uses pure rock salt. Ever since I made it a rule not to ride once there was salt on the road, the bikes have been corrosion free.

Orginall posted by Ibarbee

Although I do love the soup and sandwiches served at the Deli, I decided to go the the bakery on Depot Street.

Rubbing it in.

I hate to rub it in, but this last weekend brought temps in the high 60's to low 70's here in NC. I had a really hard time getting off the bike....the four wheelers are not use to or ready to see us out there, seems like all the ones I came across were to busy texting. Hasn't stopped raining for the past 3 days now.....what a tease!:D:D

Finally last Sunday enough ice melted on our street to get a bike out. Until tonite it has gone down single digit to a couple below every nite for a couple weeks; stuff just hasn't been melting. Dropped daughter off at grandma's on way home in cage, fired the RT up. It was great to see the smile on that beautiful lady of mine, anticipating getting out on bike! She did say it was the coldest ride, but no regrets. We couldn't go higher up, due to black ice and snow the higher you go, but going towards town was relatively clear.
Only saw two other bikes; a Harley parked at a biker bar, and a metric cruiser going the opposite way of us. Kind of surprised not to see another BMW.
I sure get sick of caging it to work every day!

Usually this is a slow month for riding, but for the first time in my 29 years of riding I put 1000 miles on the bike during a January! Lets hear it for global warming!!!:clap

Last edited:
Winter washings:)

No outside water, no problem! You have inside water, use it. A bucket of nice warm tub water works real nice. Use multiple buckets and a plastic cup to rinse the bike. Done it too many time to list here. Just watch out for the ice as the water freezes quickly on the ground you're walking on:(. Heated garage is best place for all this, mop up the mess:), or squeegee it to drain. I wash my bike inside garage several times a year, just using less water. Those of you having 4 feet of ice at the door, ouch! Learning "demolition" comes to mind, sticks of M80s and drill holes! I need my bike. lol. My current CA. living has me riding year round, less issues, but still wash my bike inside because I can:). Wife hates it when I bring the bike near the fireplace for drying. Just outside of gasoline danger, enough heat to keep its GSA soul ready to ride, short notice:). Almost like Batman and his cave/car thing. Mine is the Beemer coming from the garage, all warm and surging ahead. Enough, already! LOL. Its ridden daily, or almost. Randy

No outside water, no problem! You have inside water, use it. A bucket of nice warm tub water works real nice. Use multiple buckets and a plastic cup to rinse the bike. Done it too many time to list here. Just watch out for the ice as the water freezes quickly on the ground you're walking on:(. Heated garage is best place for all this, mop up the mess:), or squeegee it to drain.

AAAAAHAHAHAHA! :laugh:laugh:laugh

Let's see, my warm weather friend... First of all in weather like this the water poured from your little plastic cup would freeze as it dribbled down the bike, so the salt and muck would be hidden beneath a layer of ice. On one of the warmer days you might get icicles hanging from the frame to give your ride an interesting decorative effect. And any water that did manage to reach the ground would instantly create an ice slick we would have to avoid until late March. Water on frozen ground is a bad combination!

Heated garage? What's that? Unless it's attached to the house and shares the heating system -- and is insulated to a fair thee well -- a heated garage is a hopeless waste of money. Drain pipes need to be buried below the frost line, which here means four feet down. And they just become winter hiding places for small animals anyway. Besides, if you're lucky enough to be able to squeegee water into the drain before it turns to ice, it'll just freeze inside the pipe. Mops and chamois freeze before you can rinse them. Sponges freeze to the floor and leave chunks behind when you tug on them.

It was 6F for my morning ride today. There is no way I'll be able to rinse the bike unless my wife lets me install a double door so I can ride it into the living room and park it by the woodstove. Of course even then I'd have no place to squeegee the water. But thanks for the chuckle!

It's been a wet and gloomy 2013 here in Western Oregon but the sun shined through today. It was a perfect afternoon to wash the winter grime off the old bike and car and get out for a spin. My first real ride of the year aside from running errands around town. About 80 miles total, up into the foothills until I found snow, mid 40s temps so chilly but comfortable, (the only heated gear I have is my boots when I tuck them up under the cylinders!) It felt really good to get out on the bike though. :D

(they get along well)
bimmers1_zps74ef91f2.jpg

out on the road
bmwr75bw_zpsa9fde857.jpg

Calm and clear view of Dexter Reservoir, what a nice day it was!
dexter1_zpsd4b27a53.jpg

Back