• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New member in North San Diego County

mmoore

Hi everyone,

I just joined BMW MOA this evening after owning a 2006 F650GS for about a month. I wasn't even looking at BMW motorcycles when I was in the market; I wanted an adventure bike for it's upright sitting position to be honest. When my bike showed up on CL for sale it was such a great deal I jumped on it. I'm ecstatic that I am now a BMW motorcycle owner! I love the bike, the ecosystem behind the brand and especially the adventuring touring aspects. This is my first bike and I don't think I could have picked a better match for me if I had tried! Thankfully I didn't because I would still be obsessing over the decision instead of riding.

I'm looking forward to learning even more about the BMW motorcycling community. Thanks in advance for any welcomes & well-wishes. Looking forward to many years of freedom and making friends on the road!

Matt Moore
Oceanside, CA

Matt -

Welcome to the forum and BMW motorcycles! Sounds like you've been enjoying getting to know the bike. And a nice place of the country to be able to get out and ride. See what's happening down in the F650GS forum farther on down the forum.

Welcome to the family! You do realize that the Rally this year is a short (for Beemer riders) and very scenic ride up the coast, don't you? Lots of fun and a great way to meet family members you never knew you had.

Pete

Hi Matt and welcome to the BMW family.

Since you mentioned you are on your first bike, have you taken a formal MSF or other riding course? Please consider it if you have not, as you will learn things that will save your life.

Since you mentioned you are on your first bike, have you taken a formal MSF or other riding course? Please consider it if you have not, as you will learn things
that will save your life.
Welcome to the forum. Very nice people here with loads of experience as well. As ka5ysy mentioned
the MSF is a great course to take if you're new to riding or just a refresher after not riding for awhile like I did. Have fun!

Since you mentioned you are on your first bike, have you taken a formal MSF or other riding course? Please consider it if you have not, as you will learn things that will save your life.

Yes, I actually took the MSF Basic course before buying the bike. I wanted to see how I would enjoy it and if I still had the aptitude. I rode some friends' dirt bikes when I was younger, but it was so long ago I didn't even consider jumping on another bike without taking the course. Plus completing the course saves you from the insane CHP practical exam. (People actually rent Honda Ruckuses to take that test so they can stay inside the circle!)

I am looking at taking the next MSF course as well where you get to do more of the same exercises, but on your own bike (instead of a Honda Shadow 250).

I would love to take the Rawhyde courses to learn the proper techniques for offroad riding on a GS, but they're SO expensive. I'll look around the forum to see if anyone knows of another option.

Thanks!
Matt

Back