• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW scooter vs. other large displacement scooters

rsbeemer
Has a BMW scooter owner on the forum owned another large displacement scooter like a Burgman 650, etc. that could give us a comparison review?

DW

I belong to two Burgman forums because I have a Burgman 400. Several owners of the 650 have test ridden the BMW scooters and posted their thoughts on them. I am not aware of anyone who has purchased a BMW that owned a 650. They generally like the scooters but almost all of them are turned off by the seat height. The 650 has a relatively high seat but the BMW seat is even higher and they are not comfortable with it (some of us ride a 400 because the seat is much lower than the 650). They have reservations with the Kymco engine made in Tiawan and the frequent CVT belt change intervals. As with any new product, there is a lack of aftermarket parts and accessories that concerns them. The 650 has been around with few changes for several years and there are many aftermarket accessories parts available for them.

Burgman to c650GT

I traded in a 2009 Burgman 650 with 8K happy miles for a new BMW. The seat situation is not a problem for me and I am only 5'8". Like any transition, it will take a little time to adjust, but the quality and shape of the seat is excellent for both bikes, and my feet reach the ground flat with my motorcycle boots. On unrelated issue, I am back riding my Burgman which is gratefully on loan from the dealer while my BMW with less than 45 miles is in the Dealer Hospital awaiting a new brain from Germany following catastrophic electrical failure. I will relay the full experience once the bike is returned to me. It is a sordid tale of woe.

The Burgman Forum is beyond excellent, a treasure trove of experience and knowledge.

Very interested to hear your tale given the stalling issue some (including myself) have experienced. On the original thread topic, I never owned one, but rented a Silver Wing for a few days at one point (visiting Hawaii) - no comparison, it was both squirrelly handling and underpowered vis-a-vis the C650GT, not even in the same league IMHO. It did, however, turn me on to the concept, and I'd been waiting ever since then for someone to do the maxi-scooter right.

Hi all,
I have a 650 as well and went down to the local BMW dealer. I an making a plan to get the Sport, since I can't ride my sportbike any more, I switched to scooters. they are more livley than cruisers and refreshing. The dealer already has 3 other 650's, most traded for GT's. I may be the 3rd sport from them to be sold.

As a side, I always tweak my bikes, the burgman stick was 41hp, I tuned it to 45, the BMW dyno'd out at 47hp stock, so I think I should expect 51hp and lighter weight of the sport to be close to what I like.

The Burgman Forum is beyond excellent, a treasure trove of experience and knowledge.

I agree and think that is one reason Burgman owners are reluctant to trade for a BMW. Throughout the long run of the Burgman, there are basically three different mechanical versions. The 650, the 400 through 2006, and the 2007 and newer 400. The members have a great knowledge of the scooters that they willingly share. Members have done You-Tube videos for most of the repairs and replacements within the abilities of most mechanically literate owners. If you need to learn how to remove tupperware, replace a CVT belt, change the antifreeze, change the brakes, change the oil and filter, change the air filter, remove the wheels, etc. it is on a You-Tube video with great detail and explanation. I think it is hard for someone to leave a known reliable scooter and go to a new unproven one at great expense.

Thanks for the feedback

I am living in Taiwan now and have a friend that rides a Burgman 650 and is interested in buying the new BMW scooter.

He has been riding with our group (mostly bmw's) and has no problem staying up with us in the mountains. It's a great bike but he wants the BMW name which he thinks would give him a bigger face with the rest of the riders. So, he has asked me to find out more about the BMW scooters and that is why I started this thread.

It seems that BMW has some quirks that haven't been worked out yet which might be normal for a new model. Some of the other threads I've read aren't giving them high marks. I think that I will suggest he wait for a couple of years before spending 20k usd on one. 100% import tax here.

Thanks for all the information and hope there will be more to come.

DW

I had planned to buy the BMW 650GT but decided to get the Burgman instead , I do not regret my decision based on the reports from the BMW owners i have read about driveability issues.

went from burgie 400 to bmw 650 gt -pleased with no regrets. Hard to compare the two other than to say the 650 is more motorcycle than burgman.

Please tell me more

went from burgie 400 to bmw 650 gt -pleased with no regrets. Hard to compare the two other than to say the 650 is more motorcycle than burgman.

Hi , Would you give me some more information? I do want to know the pros and cons. How long have you owed your 650gt; how many miles have you ridden it and have you had any negative issues with it that you would share.

I have been a BMW customer for 40 years and some I like and some I haven't but when I hit 70 or 75 years old, ( which isn't far away) I might not be able to throw my leg over my old RS anymore. I would probably go with a BMW scooter just because it's a BMW as long as it will stand the test of time.

I have been riding a 125cc Kymco here in Taiwan for the past 15 years with no problems, just change the engine oil and gear oil and it goes and goes. That is all I expect from the BMW also.

And I like it when you said, "the 650 is more motorcycle than burgman." Can you tell me more about that?

DW

Have you tried getting on one yet? I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but they are not the easiest things to get mounted on. At least during the small testride I took i didn't think it was all that easy and others have said the same thing.

Are you in Taiwan or Texas???

I have a Burgman 400 and my friend has a Burgman 650. The ONLY thing they have in common is the name and a similar appearance. I think the BMW 650GT is aimed at the Burgman 650 which is the same type of machine.

Maybe your friend and i can get together and do a ride swap comparison of his BMW GT and my Burgman sometime in the spring.

And I like it when you said, "the 650 is more motorcycle than burgman." Can you tell me more about that?

DW

1200 miles on my new bmw. Please search and read my posts on this forum for my comments and review! The 650gt is a heavier machine - a beauty on the road! Parking, backing etc require firm footing and positive control.

Rode this am in 40 degree weather - glad for the hand warmers and heated seat!

1200 miles on my new bmw. Please search and read my posts on this forum for my comments and review! The 650gt is a heavier machine - a beauty on the road! Parking, backing etc require firm footing and positive control.

Rode this am in 40 degree weather - glad for the hand warmers and heated seat!

Totally - this is by far the most comfortable I've ever been riding in the cold, I've been taking it almost every dry day, often in the 40s, and loving it, and that is wearing lightweight gloves and without even putting the liner in my jacket.

Have you tried getting on one yet? I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but they are not the easiest things to get mounted on. At least during the small testride I took i didn't think it was all that easy and others have said the same thing.

Are you in Taiwan or Texas???

I am in Taiwan now for the next few years. My riding friend here is about 5'2" tall and his inseam is probably around 25" ....so with just that info I would think the BMW scooter is out of the question.

I indorse neither the bmw scooter or the burgman but up to this point have heard more good about the burgman. I think that once the bmw scooter owners educate the bmw engineers on the faults and the things that will make it better, then we will have a great bmw scooter.

I ride a Kymco 180cc RaceKing here in Taiwan daily. I can outrun 99% of the cars from red light to red light; It's fast and can go anywhere on this Island. of course I ride my wife's kymco 110cc sometimes and it will do the same.

One week ago I traded my 07 Burgman 650 Executive that I bought new and had put 37K miles on for a new C 650 GT. I only have a bout 450 miles on the GT so I haven't pushed it yet. SO how is the Burgman Ex? It is an incredible machine, deceivingly fast. Comfortable and no problem cruising at 80 mph two up. The electronic CVT is smooth and can be put into a power (sport) mode or simulated manual. Handling is a little clumsy at low speeds and the ECTV tends to "buck" at low speeds, takes some getting used to.

The storage under the seat is cavernous and well planned out...unfortunate not everything else is.

The OEM windscreen is inadequate. Way too much buffeting and back pressure. I replaced with a clearview medium with goldwing vent...somewhat better. I'm 5'11" with 30" inseam and was able to flat foot easily. Leg room was pretty good but not great. I needed 1" bar risers and still had a little bit of a reach.

In all honesty....I loved that scooter! So why did I trade it in at 37K? The ECVT. There have been many CVT primary spline and other failures. At 24K I had the primary clutch bearing go bad. Bearing replacement cost? $3,000. Luckily I was under extended warranty so my cost was $0.

I performed all scheduled maintenance and at 37K I wasn't trusting the trans any more. Started hearing some whining (bearing) and a few clunks in the final drive. Being out of warranty I made the decision to part with it while I could still get some cash out of it. If the trans went again I would probably part it out. This is why some people consider the 650 and exec as disposable scooters...get enough miles on it and it is not worth repairing.

I will say that I enjoyed every mile I put on my 07 Ex but I believe I have stepped up with the C 650 GT. Standard CVTs don't scare me. I have rebuilt and modified smaller displacement scooters and I rebuild and modify Vintage Vespas. I am sure that Malossi, DR, and others will begin making aftermarket modification parts available soon.

This is gonna be fun!

As far as the Burgman 400s they are great scooters. If you get one just be sure it is post 07. Pre 07 models had incredibly short service intervals for things like valve adjustments.

Back