• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When is new 1200RT coming out?

kfdief

Has anyone heard anything about a timeline for updating the 1200RT to the water cooled engine ..

'04 R1150GS

Last edited:
Thanks for info.

Thanks Mike. Where did you learn about those dates?
Thought I might be interested in water cooled RT, but don't want to wait that long for one.

Guys, not trying to be incredulous here, but I find it VERY hard to believe that from three years now a new RT is coming... if BMW is true to form, I see this next year, after debuting in the fall of 2013.

2014 Model Year production will start in August. If it would be a 2014 model with a debut in the fall of 2013, you would have seen prototypes and show bikes by now. Unlike for the GS, which does not have any, there will be significant body panel changes necessary for the RT. The RT will be the last R model to change to the new motor.
At least, so is the story in Germany.

Mike, having read what you just commented on, still, I can see it fall 2014 unveiling for Spring 2015 availability... but another year after that? Find that hard to believe... but what do I know.

This image was posted on the BMWST site a few months ago. It is the same artist that created the renderings for the new GS and they were spot on.
148456407.jpg

I believe we will begin seeing testing leaks this spring.

New RT

It would be nice to have mirrors placed up in the riders field of view, so it becomes a part of the usual heads up hazard scan. Viewing the world from under my armpit has always bugged me on my RT. The mirrors on my K bike are great.

I like limecreeks comment about testing leaks. I hope all the leak tests will be done before any sales are made,or is the buying public going to be AGs Beta testers, again! Watercooled boxers, the world turned upside down!!!!!!!!!!!

I like limecreeks comment about testing leaks. I hope all the leak tests will be done before any sales are made,or is the buying public going to be AGs Beta testers, again! Watercooled boxers, the world turned upside down!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, come on guys! How long has BMW made liquid-cooled motorcycles? How many liquid-cooled motorcycles have you owned in your life? Who still makes only air-cooled motorcycles?

You also want your headlights to still be carbide-water lamps?

Oh, come on guys! How long has BMW made liquid-cooled motorcycles? How many liquid-cooled motorcycles have you owned in your life?

On one hand this is a valid argument, on the other, I seem to recall stories of water pump issues when the K1600s came out.
Any time a technology changes there is a possibility for issues, not to mention the fine tuning that will have to happen once a bike hits the world.

On one hand this is a valid argument, on the other, I seem to recall stories of water pump issues when the K1600s came out.
Any time a technology changes there is a possibility for issues, not to mention the fine tuning that will have to happen once a bike hits the world.

I am not arguing with this. Being concerned when a new model is introduced is being prudent.
The comment Watercooled boxers, the world turned upside down!!!!!!!!!!! . was the one that I tried to address. It sounded like people are afraid that BMW is trying to use square wheels on the bikes.

I spoke with my dealer today. Sounds like new body work and other mods for sure. Maybe even dual cooling fans. He said the gs as we know is always the 1st platform to run new stuff. Probably the RT will be next followed by the adventure

I spoke with my dealer today. Sounds like new body work and other mods for sure. Maybe even dual cooling fans. He said the gs as we know is always the 1st platform to run new stuff. Probably the RT will be next followed by the adventure

New body work? Yes, you can count on it. The new RT will be the most dramatic change to the line since the introduction of the 1200's.
original.jpg

Back