• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

EAR PLUGS........what's the best / easiest to use ..??

Try Cutting the Foam Plugs

Over the years, I've tried all kinds of foam plugs and after a few hours, no matter what kind of plugs they were, they hurt my ears.

Last summer I finally figured out that I must have small ear canals and that the plugs were always too tight! Using a scissors, I cut a 1/5th "V" section out of each plug and voila! Success.

I grabbed my entire bag of foam plugs and proceeded to cut a section out of each plug, and I have them stashed away in my saddlebags already for next summer.

Sounds silly, but works great. No increase in noise, GREAT increase in comfort. Just squeeze tight, wet 'em and they slide right in.

Good luck in your search!

-Kevin

I would never lie to my wife, selective hearing in males is a myth. The proper term is "Selective Memory Retention".

Modern medicine has determined that the male brain is so efficient that in less than a nano-second, one can listen to what his wife has to say and then determine if it is important or needs to be remembered. If not, our brain will dismiss what is said and banish it from our mind FOREVER! Selective Memory Retention (SMR) is so efficient that the information is never stored in the brain for later recall so the male may claim zero knowledge about his wife's comments. Some males can also do this with their girlfriend, son, daughter, co-workers or even a boss.

Zombie like,"Yes dear" or " Uh OK", responses are just some some of the common indicators that a male brain is in "SMR" mode. A blank look on a male's face may also be an indicator.

Why clutter our brain with useless information?

Let me see.............Involuntary nervous system defense mechanism or superior intellect filtering capability?

I'll stick with the former as a subject for my interview on Oprah. No need to turn the whole audience into blood crazed zombies.

Last edited:
Let me.............Involuntary nervous system defense mechanism or superior intellect filtering capability?

I'll stick with the former for my interview on Oprah. No need to turn the whole audience into blood crazed zombies.

INSD? Sounds like something our military would come up with.

Of course, if we just wear ear plugs, then we can claim that we did not hear anything because of the plugs.

As a medic, part of my job was to match ear plugs to a soldiers ear canal. The idea was to issue them one pair of proper fitting plugs and not have to worry about disposables. More often than not, the trooper would loose them and a couple of people round filed them after one use.

We did have some light green hexagon shaped plugs for one time use that worked well. Can't remember the brand.

Lee Parks earplugs

Lee Parks has some great plugs that block out the noise, but allow normal conversation to take place. On his website. I was so impressed I went back and ordered an extra pair. Not cheap, but they work.

I've had the best luck with the plain ol roll up and expand disposable foamies. I have a set of custom molded high end earplugs here at my house.........I never use them anymore

Ear Plugs

I have use Etymotic products for years and find them comfortable and very effective in reducing wind noise and still be able to hear what's going on around me. A bit pricey, but well worth the investment.

3m

I purchased a box of 200 pairs of 3M yellow/orange ear plugs for some like $25 (not sure of exact price). For best use I try to keep it as single use, once out a reinsertion reduces the effectiveness. I put them on in the morning and and them out at lunch, throw them, after lunch put a new set. 200 will last me a long time. I bought the box from Amazon.

I have use Etymotic products for years and find them comfortable and very effective in reducing wind noise and still be able to hear what's going on around me. A bit pricey, but well worth the investment.

We use the wired as well as the earplug only Etymotics...good set with stems and tri-tip flanges. For smaller ear canals, the Baby Blues are available as well. Not an issue with helmet fit for either of us.. YRMV

Attachments

• etymotic plugs.jpg
    etymotic plugs.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 270
I've been riding since 1962 (!) and just now am thinking of joining the "never ride W/O earplug" crowd........I just bought a beautiful 1999 R1100R with the BMW "factory" windscreen .. the wind noise inside my Shoei Multitec is unbelieveable / so I guess earplugs are the best solution ??
what's the general opinion / what really works...please....thanks !!

from the swamp..
JPFITZ

I've tried a lot of earplugs thoughout my 40+ years of riding. My current favorites are the Moldex Comets. They're cheap, reuseable, easy to insert and remove. No rolling because they're not foam. NRR of approximately 25db. That's not the max by any means but they work well for me as I listen to my bluetoothed music via my Sena SMH10. If listening to music is not in your riding, you might like to use a higher rated plug like those made by Howard Leight the orange bell shaped ones. They and others like them (foam) will typically rate 32db. Moldex makes a lot of different earplugs.

I've bought a lot of plugs from www.earplugstore.com You can pick and choose several differnt kinds, shapes and try all of them till you find something that works for you. I bought a set of custom (earmold) plugs last year at the motorcycle show. The left one seals pretty well, the right one not so well. These might work for you but they just didn't for me. Might have been the maker, there's lots of folks making ear molded plugs these days. Or you can drop by CVS and buy a whole bunch of generic plugs (made by Moldex) for very little money.

We use the wired as well as the earplug only Etymotics...good set with stems and tri-tip flanges. For smaller ear canals, the Baby Blues are available as well. Not an issue with helmet fit for either of us.. YRMV

Great subject, especially for the older BMW crowd. We have the foam type plugs here at work and the flange type. As a CNC programer/setup/operator and a previous screw machine operator, I have been around high noise levels for decades. Also, after 35 years as a volunteer fireman and 2.5 years on an aircraft carrier (CVA-42), my hearing is shot. My last several years as a fireman I was an engineer/driver of our pumpers and ladder. The sirens bouncing off buildings made my eyes water.

Anyway, I keep the flange type plugs at home for mowing the grass and using my chain saw. I also keep the foam plugs in my kit when I go shooting. At work I use the flange plugs but cut the cord because of the machinery.

BTW - do not reuse the foam plugs. One of our operators at work kept using the same plugs for days and ended up with a vicious ear infection. He was not that bright and did not last long.

Great subject, especially for the older BMW crowd.

Couldn't disagree more, ear plugs should be worn by everyone to avoid the cumulative damage from excessive noise. The older BMW crowd will be lucky if they have any hearing to loose.............

Couldn't disagree more, ear plugs should be worn by everyone to avoid the cumulative damage from excessive noise. The older BMW crowd will be lucky if they have any hearing to loose.............

Totally agree.... :nod

I have damaged my hearing from years of riding un-silenced two-stroke MX bikes and diesel tractors, going rock concerts, etc... all in my youth.

If you like music look at etymotic plugs

I you like music look at etymotic plugs - good hearing protection and can use to listen as well .

I you like music look at etymotic plugs - good hearing protection and can use to listen as well .

2d on the Etymotics! I used to use the ER6i's all the time until I discovered the Lee Park's ear plug speakers. Lee told me he thought his plugs have better sound quality, but I've lost so much hearing I don't know if I could tell the difference or not. They both retail about the same, but you can find the ER6i's on sale for around half price sometimes on line. The Lee Park's wires don't pull out like the Etymotic's, which can quickly ruin/trash your Etymotics if you catch the wire. I run the Lee Park's sometimes without any music, just using them as simple ear plugs. They work great. I use them more than I use his ear plugs as I've recently learned what a thrill it is to ride and listen to my IPhone using it as a very expensive pocket am radio using IHeart radio and other apps. :)

ear080529905376lg_zps7af570b3.jpg
These feel better to me than the compression type . I cut off the connecting piece

I always seem to get the compression type dirty rolling them in my fingers

I was lucky enough to be introduced to ear plugs during my second year of riding. I don't leave the driveway now without them in my ears

Hearing Loss

After years 35+ of riding/racing I finally invested in plugs. I originally had plugs fit by a company called GEARINC.COM at one of the events. They fit well and I used them for years. As they wore out I tried another company FITEAR, there service was poor and after they fit them I used them overnight. I returned to the booth the next day and told them of my discomfort AND THEY SAID " Well that's how they are ?" When I asked to remake them , they said no...I've never used them again. I contacted GEARINC. asked there schedule of events and made sure I looked them up and had another set made last year. They were at the Billings event and there customer service and quality is hard to match.

Back