• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EAR PLUGS........what's the best / easiest to use ..??

S-plugs

Just came across this thread while trying to stay entertained while visiting relatives. I’ve used these for 4 years now, plugged into my SENA in place of the speakers. Great at blocking out wind and road noise, allowing me to play at almost minimum volume. Wouldn’t leave on a ride without them.
http://www.rka-luggage.com/A49 SPlug/S_Plug.html

Since flight school in the Air Force (1971) i’ve Tired every known ear plug out there, hard rubber, molded, surefire, wax, you name it i’ve Tried it. After all these years I still find the foam plugs to most comfortable and by the way the cheapest. Amazon has a big box of the Howard Leigh green plugs for like $25 for 200 pairs,

Jim

Since flight school in the Air Force (1971) i’ve Tired every known ear plug out there, hard rubber, molded, surefire, wax, you name it i’ve Tried it. After all these years I still find the foam plugs to most comfortable and by the way the cheapest. Amazon has a big box of the Howard Leigh green plugs for like $25 for 200 pairs,

Jim

My experience exactly.

30+dB attenuation + pennies each

I keep a box in my garage and a handful in my jacket.

Jim

+2...foamies are really hard to beat and stay comfortable for the longest period of time, IMHO.

+2...foamies are really hard to beat and stay comfortable for the longest period of time, IMHO.

From personal experience, I need to disagree. On me, foam earplugs will start to irritate after 2 full days on the road. Custom-molded ones, on the other hand, have stayed comfortable for 7 straight 600km days.

I too do not agree that the foam plugs of any one of a half dozen or more varieties worked for me. No matter the brand or how I inserted them one or both would loosen and leak within minutes, rendering them more or less useless. I fought this for years on and off, as I was deemed negligent and guilty for not wearing ear plugs. Finally I had some custom molded plugs made. They work in my ears and work well. After about 4 years my ear canal changed enough that new plugs provided a better fit - twice. I am now on pair 3 with pair 2 kept as spares. I couldn't be happier.

+1 on custom ear plugs. I had an audiologist make the first pair. They were too small, not enough material outside the ear canal and were difficult to use. I finally lost one. The next pair were made by plug up. They are good. I had them make me a pair with speakers and have had problems. First something in the plug disconnected. They fixed that. Same symptoms occurred again. Thy said there was a soapy residue inside and they would not warranty them. They were never exposed to any type of liquids and I have no way of verify their claims. So just one side has sound. I am going to try Big Ears next, hopefully they have a better product. For all the naysayers I like to listen to music. I have been riding long enough to have developed good instinctive ridding habits so the music isn't a distraction. The music aspect pushes me to use ear plugs. I already have messed up hearing so it is a win win for me.

I use filtered JH Audio custom plugs. They are great in that I can swap out filters depending upon whether they are for riding or attending a concert. They also work really well with communication systems as you really hear the same sound, just at a lower volume. They do not block out all the highs or lows like most earplugs.

Filtered-Earplugs.png

From personal experience, I need to disagree. On me, foam earplugs will start to irritate after 2 full days on the road. Custom-molded ones, on the other hand, have stayed comfortable for 7 straight 600km days.

I have several sets of custom ones (including a couple Big Ears). They're great for the first couple of days, but find after that I need to replace them with the foamies to give my ears a break. After that, I trade them back and forth on two week rides.

Now, my long days are more like 800-900 miles versus your 600km, so that would obviously make a difference.

Now, my long days are more like 800-900 miles versus your 600km, so that would obviously make a difference.

That was just one trip this summer. I too have done 1100 km days, day after day, with the same results. Its the multiple and consecutive days that make the difference for me. Perhaps you might check out a different custom ear plug supplier?

(BTW, I really enjoy riding in your part of the world :thumb.)

That was just one trip this summer. I too have done 1100 km days, day after day, with the same results. Its the multiple and consecutive days that make the difference for me. Perhaps you might check out a different custom ear plug supplier?

I think you hit the nail on the head...I need to check out a different custom ear plug supplier!

The "best ear plug" really depends on you. Do you have Vincent van Gogh ear(s) or more like Mr. Potato Head ears?? :dunno Anything is better than nothing.

Friedle

Last year we took an extended trip to the National Rally. I started to notice some pain or irritation in my left ear. My molded plugs were about 5 years old and I had previously noticed that that left plug was harder to insert than it had been. Coincidence? I thought not!

At the National rally I had a new set of ear plugs molded. Continuing the trip out to Washington state for the Cascade Country rally I wore the new plugs. By the second day the irritation and pain in the ear was gone. The old plug simply didn't fit the ear any more - or more precisely my ear canal no longer fit the 5 year old plug.

I have now concluded that getting a new set every few years is a good idea.

3M E-A-Rsoft Yellow Neons for us. They are very effective and VERY comfortable. We buy a box (200 pairs) at a time. I've used the traditional cylindrical or bullet-shaped harder yellow ones and they are uncomfortable after a while.

Back