Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: EAR PLUGS........what's the best / easiest to use ..??

Used to wear the yellow foamies. Most people don't fit them properly, it takes a few minutes to do so. They must be ROLLED into a very small cylinder that does not have any creases in it. They can't simply be squashed down, as that will create creases that will allow sound to enter the ear.

Here's a video on it.

I've never enjoyed them as they tend to muffle all noises, not just the wind, but including those from the engine, my passenger, and cars pulling alongside. Then I found NoNoise plugs. Very happy with them. http://www.revzilla.com/nonoise-earplugs

I have no affiliation with either company.

At the Billings Rally I asked several people and they all agreed with me, they had had the same issue with the NoNoise earplugs going in too far. I thought maybe it was just me, but most people I ask (not all, but most) have had issues. The stem is too short to pull out and we've had to use tweezers, Leathermans, knives, etc to get them out once in. I'd recommend somehow trying them first because once you fit them, you've contaminated them. Not sure if any seller keeps a pair that is disinfected for sizing.
    Motorcycle Adventure Addict, Former Action Guy, Devil Dog, Motor Officer, Firefighter, Paramedic. Motorcycled to the Arctic Ocean North of Prudhoe Bay. Stood on the Arctic ice. Said, "Been there, done that." Turned around and drove straight to Key West, Southernmost Point in the US. 13,500m 30days

As it's been said, everyone has different size ear canals and different sensitivity. Mine are fairly small and I get pain and pressure with most all earplugs (especially those flanged ones). I've done the custom molded ones and can wear them for a couple hours before I start to get sore, however the way the helmet presses against your head can cause the shape of your ear canal to change, allowing sound through.

I always wear earplugs when I ride and have been relying on the Howard Leight LPF-1 Max Lite ear plugs (the green ones). These are their smaller, softer t-shape plugs. I can wear them as long as I want and I have zero discomfort along with consistant hearing protection. I even play music through the speakers of my Sena over them on my bike and it sounds fantastic (turned almost all the way up though). These earplugs are the only reason I can get 8 hours of sleep as well as I have a damn rooster now. I buy them in 200 packs from Amazon at about $19. Always have a bunch with me in my top case (though I make a pair last for several days).
    Current rides:
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 85k miles
    2012 R1200GS Rallye - "Carl" - 2500 miles
    Previous BMWs: 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyleo View Post
    At the Billings Rally I asked several people and they all agreed with me, they had had the same issue with the NoNoise earplugs going in too far.
    I did this also but not so badly that I had to use tweezers etc. However, for some reason, one time I took them out using my left hand to right ear and right hand to left ear. It actually made it much easier to get the plugs out. I suspect that the plugs never go in straight so the stem is offside, resting against the ear and hard to grip. By using the opposite hand it somehow makes it easier to grip the stem and remove them.

I don't know if this is a real solution to the problem or not but it may help some users.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by dannyleo View Post
    At the Billings Rally I asked several people and they all agreed with me, they had had the same issue with the NoNoise earplugs going in too far. I thought maybe it was just me, but most people I ask (not all, but most) have had issues. The stem is too short to pull out and we've had to use tweezers, Leathermans, knives, etc to get them out once in. I'd recommend somehow trying them first because once you fit them, you've contaminated them. Not sure if any seller keeps a pair that is disinfected for sizing.
    I understand the issue. I had it myself. I fixed it by practicing at home, in front of a mirror until I got the hang of it. This issue is even mentioned in the instructions that come with the ear plugs. It's simply a matter of not inserting them so far that the stem can't be reached. If the stem was longer, putting a helmet on would dislodge them. They don't need to be inserted very deeply into the ear canal, just deep enough to make a seal. When inserting them, hold onto the stem. If you can grasp it when you're inserting them, you can grasp it to remove them. The problem comes when people use the tip of their finger to press them deeper into the ear canal, thinking that it will improve the seal. This occurs because there's no feeling of having one's hearing reduced, as there is with other types of hearing protection. The ceramic filter only reduces the level of the wind noise. Other noises sound natural and are not affected. Pressing them deeper does not improve their filtering ability, it only makes them difficult to remove.

I found them so comfortable that I forgot I had them on and went into a restaurant to get something to eat. When I went to remount, the aluminum "pill holder" they come in was empty and I could not remember where I'd put them. Another rider asked what I was looking for on the ground and when I told him, the look on his face was priceless. He almost fell off his bike, laughing. And yes, I've also "lost" my glasses when they were on top of my head! Not the sharpest knife in the drawer here.

Here's the Twisted Throttle video on them. Like this announcer, I'll never go back to foam ear plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    I did this also but not so badly that I had to use tweezers etc. However, for some reason, one time I took them out using my left hand to right ear and right hand to left ear. It actually made it much easier to get the plugs out. I suspect that the plugs never go in straight so the stem is offside, resting against the ear and hard to grip. By using the opposite hand it somehow makes it easier to grip the stem and remove them.

I don't know if this is a real solution to the problem or not but it may help some users.
    The instructions call for using the left hand to lift up the right ear to straighten out the ear canal to insert the plug. When you let go of that ear, the ear canal goes back to it's natural curved orientation, 'tipping' the ear plug slightly.

I like your suggestion if someone has problems with removal.