• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Twisted Road by Jack Riepe

...and if he hates computers as much as he says - would he even put in the effort to figure it out?
Might be worth another email to Jack Zenduddhist!

Ken

...and if he hates computers as much as he says - would he even put in the effort to figure it out?
Might be worth another email to Jack Zenduddhist!

Ken

I sent him an email to see if he would be interested. Told him we weren't doing it out of kindness or pity. We are doing it because we want him to keep working, writing and making us laugh! :dance

Just because he is having physical difficulties doesn't mean we should have to suffer... :evil

I have used Dragon at school and it works very well. The more you use it, the better it gets. One of the things that I learned, though,you should use the best computer microphone that you can find.

If jack is using a Mac, there may be some problems finding the right version. You need something called "Dictate Edition"

I just had a very nice conversation with Jack on the phone. He is very, very touched by our concern for him. He is going to write a statement to you all today or tomorrow and asked if I would post it in this forum. Will do so, when I receive it...

All,

Just received this email from Jack. He asked that I post it in this forum:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Esteemed Readers and Colleagues:

A number of you have expressed concern that I might be dealing with some personal challenge, life crisis, or health issue that has prevented me from writing my blog for over a month. I tried to put a good face on things, and to laugh off my troubles, while I struggled with the cause of a depression so crushing that I thought I might never write another funny story again. The sad truth is I recently discovered that... that... that women in their mid-twenties no longer find me attractive.

I have become virtually invisible to the kind of hard-bodied eye-candy that has inspired so much of my work over the years. Now this might not be so bad, except for the fact that I have also become invisible to women in their thirties as well. I was in the supermarket the other day, when the ideal combination of female presence and Pilates classes (about 38) brushed by me in the birth control aisle. (When the hell did supermarkets get a birth control aisle?) I gave her my patented ÔÇ£Battered Baby Harp Seal-lookÔÇØ ÔÇö and she spit in my coffee.

I was crushed but maintained a modicum of dignity right up until her mother also spit in my coffee. Those of you who follow my blog or who have read my book know I regard riding a motorcycle as the ultimate hedonistic experience. That experience spans fast bikes, fast women, and fast times. The fact that I am being dealt out of this game is having an adverse effect on my prose. The last time I went to a bikerÔÇÖs party, thrown by a couple of Harley riders I know, only one woman bothered to listen to my spiel, and only if I spoke into her ÔÇ£goodÔÇØ ear. She offered to ÔÇ£doÔÇØ her drugs with me, but these turned out to be Imodium and Digitalis.

I have been diagnosed with a new kind of joint disease. It has the same effect as arthritis but spreads throughout the body like clap. I get out of bed in the morning like the mummy sitting up in his sarcophagus. (I set my alarm clock for a good two hours before I need to take a leak.) Last week, a doctor told me I may never ride a motorcycle again.

I said to him, ÔÇ£Doctor, how will I ever have sex again if I canÔÇÖt ride a motorcycle.ÔÇØ

He looked at me and said, ÔÇ£Jack, itÔÇÖs time to face facts. No one ever got laid riding a BMW.ÔÇØ

I can barely walk on some days and that this disease is now in my hands and shoulders has me crazy. There are days when it hurts to think. All of my stories are about 98% true. I cannot imagine a time when there are no new ones, and this is slowing me down.

Few writers ever have the privilege of knowing how many people read their stuff or genuinely appreciate it. Fewer still have had readers who wanted to exhaust every option in getting a blog or a sequel to a book written faster. Your comments to this thread were like a tonic to me (though I have no gin at the moment). No one has ever flattered me as you have.

I would certainly be compelled to try my damnedest to get the most out of a computerized dictation program ÔÇö should one be awarded to me. But I want you all to know something: Writing for your folks is its own greatest reward. I was delighted to see how many of you enjoyed my new book ÔÇö Conversations With A Motorcycle. It really boosts my career when you talk this up to your friends. The bookÔÇÖs binding has a flaw, however. It turns into a swarm of dung beetles if you lend it to anyone. (Make them buy their own.)

For those who are asking, I compose on an Apple MacBook Pro that is three years old. I hate computers, and use this one because it requires no screwing around to get it to work at maximum capacity. (I have yet to see a PC that does the stuff this Apple does.) I have been a professional writer for 35 years (no other job) and type with two fingers. (People who watch me are amazed.) Still, I got all tangled up with passwords, handshakes, and trap doors when I tired to post on this thread myself. I have a Jersey City accent that shatters clay pigeons at 300 yards. Most women never get used to it.

I have asked Chris to post this note for me. Please look for a new blog shortly.
Thanks again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok guys

Looks like Jack still has some humor in him and we can help him help us keep entertained instead of just sitting around the house this cold winter. I'm in for the first $20 or if no one wants to collect it, purchase it and get it to him, I'm game to do that as well. What say you guys?

I am willing to handle the transactions if you want. I have a paypal account and will keep all informed of the total collected. I also have Amazon Prime so I can get two day free shipping.

I would like to purchase the software now, send it to Jack right away, and then accept whatever donations I get up to the purchase price.

That's the easy part. The hard part is determining what software to get him. It looks like the the Dragon Dictate 3.0 for Mac is a pretty popular program. It's $149 on Amazon.

What say you all? Should I purchase that or does anyone know of something better?

Chris

Go for it

I am willing to handle the transactions if you want. I have a paypal account and will keep all informed of the total collected. I also have Amazon Prime so I can get two day free shipping.

I would like to purchase the software now, send it to Jack right away, and then accept whatever donations I get up to the purchase price.

That's the easy part. The hard part is determining what software to get him. It looks like the the Dragon Dictate 3.0 for Mac is a pretty popular program. It's $149 on Amazon.

What say you all? Should I purchase that or does anyone know of something better?

Chris

Looks like 3.0 is the version to get for MAC. Send me or post your Paypal address. Thanks for doing it.

Paypal address is:

ccmmcc@gmail.com

I will keep a running total in this thread so we all know where we are. Once I receive the donation, I will post your name and amount in this thread... Unless someone has a better idea!

Okay, I have ordered Dragon Dictate 3.0 for Mac. Total was $149.99 on Amazon.com and he should receive it this Wednesday, January 9, 2013.

So far, I have received the following:

M. Cox $20
R. Machida $10
P. Springer $25
K. Foster $25

Last edited:
We need to gift him with some voice to text software. Arthritis hurts!

Thanks, BogtheBasher, for coming up with this idea. Was just reading back through the thread and feel kind of bad that you were the one who first suggested it and I kind of ended up running away with it. My apologies, if you feel I "took over". It was very kind of you to first suggest getting him this software...

Regards,

Chris

If we come up with enough $ maybe we should spring for the aforementioned "good" michrophone also.....

Ken

Back