• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 RT Rear Brake Pad Fit Problem

Grampa Tumbleweed
I bought EBC pads for the rear brake, part#FA363HH. After "some" frustration failing to install the pads, with the pistons fully levered back into the caliper, I took some measurements: Two pads plus disc = .950".
Space in caliper = .930" Anyone else have this problem? I suspect I was given the wrong part #, anyone out there have a different part # for rear EBC's / 2010 RT?

pushing in the piston is only half the problem. The rear caliper is a slider design. I'd take it off and separate the two halves, clean and lube the pins it slides on and then try it again.

pushing in the piston is only half the problem. The rear caliper is a slider design. I'd take it off and separate the two halves, clean and lube the pins it slides on and then try it again.

The caliper body itself is one piece. Your suggestion won't change the fact that there simply is not room in the caliper for the brake pads I was sold, plus the disc.

Hello. I've looked at the information in the link above, and cannot see but one piece for the rear caliper. The piece I see is the piece that holds the piston and pads. There is a pin that holds the pads in place, but I don't call it a part of the "caliper". What is the second part?

Yes it is a slider design but that has nothing to do with the distance between the retracted piston and the left side of the caliper. I talked to EBC today and they believe I have a mis-manufactured pad. They are sending me a replacement. They were very nice to work with.

Yes it is a slider design but that has nothing to do with the distance between the retracted piston and the left side of the caliper. I talked to EBC today and they believe I have a mis-manufactured pad. They are sending me a replacement. They were very nice to work with.
Agree EBC is a first rate outfit. I've got their HH pads in all positions on my RT but I'll bet the problem isn't what you think it is. That slider caliper is stuck and the clearance on the "inside" of the disk is not large enough for the pad to fit. Typical stuck caliper syndrome where the inside pad wears out much sooner than the outside one.

I put new Brembo pads on my '06 RT last July. The inner pad and backing plate was 8.7mm thick. The outer pad and backing plate was 10.1mm thick. A new rotor is supposed to be 5mm thick. So the combination would be 23.8mm or .937in. So the caliper has to have a slightly larger opening.

I've been having trouble with rear brake drag and have found that excess lube on the slider pins can keep the caliper from sliding properly or to its full range. The pins act like pistons in a closed cylinder, the lube serves as a piston ring, and you end up with something like an air spring.

I found it interesting that nearly all the braking force is seems to be carried by the front pin. The rear pin slides in its rubber boot and apparently is just to keep the caliper from rotating out of position.

When EBC sends your replacement pads let us know what you find.

When EBC sends your replacement pads let us know what you find.

We're waiting... Did you solve your little problem?

We're waiting... Did you solve your little problem?

Problem solved. Had to pull the caliper all the way to the Left on the slider pins. The pads are an extremely close fit, unlike the fronts which have a little wiggle room. The slider was plenty free.

I installed new rear brake pads yesterday on my 06 R12RT. Had the same problem. Removed the old pads, AND the new ones wouldn't fit. I remembered reading something about this previously. Searched and found this very helpful information. Spread the caliper out and squirted a little brake cleaner to clean it up. Voila, the pads slid into place.

I really appreciate the helpful servicing tips and info that can be found here. :bow

I have to second that. I do all my own work and this forum has been invaluable to me in this respect. People tell me I know so much about my RT and my airhead. Forgive me for not divulging my sources!

I realize this is an old thread. On my 2005 R1200rt, I put EBC pads on the rear, spun the tire and alot drag on the rotor. I put the old pads, back in, no drag. My BMW pads weren't completely gone and still within normal wear lines but getting close. I changed sets back and forth three times and had the same issue with the EBC pads each time. I thought I was doing something wrong. Next time at the dealer for other work, I had them replace the rear pads, I did not bring in the set I'd had issues with. They suggested the EBC's but they had the same issue I did and ended up using BMW OEM's. I had no problems both pair of EBC's on the front.

Back