• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Flea Market

Flea Market

I'm all for change.. but this new Flea Market suxs ...Please take a member vote ... Bring the Flea Market Classifeds back... Please... Sidecarcris

I'm all for change.. but this new Flea Market suxs ...Please take a member vote ... Bring the Flea Market Classifeds back... Please... Sidecarcris

Sorry Chris, but there's simply nothing to vote on.

The old flea market was home built and had security issues, along with our old version of vBulletin (the forum software we use). The board is working to update the entire website, and when it does, a new flea market solution will be a part of that. What we have right now is what we could create on the spur of the moment, caused by hackers getting into the older version of vBulletin. I don't believe that there's any will to invest more time (and club $s) into this temporary situation than is really necessary to tide us over.

So, what we have is what we have, until we have something different -- which will be more like what we used to have.

well..it's been a month.

Well, there's an awful lot going on behind the scenes. New website and forum are being developed by a third party. Everything requires testing. And the MOA has a very large database for our digital operations. Between the small paid MOA staff, the third party, and the all volunteer group that runs the forum, some things will be prioritized and may take some time. Your understanding is appreciated

Well, there's an awful lot going on behind the scenes. New website and forum are being developed by a third party. Everything requires testing. And the MOA has a very large database for our digital operations. Between the small paid MOA staff, the third party, and the all volunteer group that runs the forum, some things will be prioritized and may take some time. Your understanding is appreciated

I too liked the old "flea Market" but am one who got trashed by a virus among other things on my computer. I am more than willing to wait until a new more secure format is formulated. It took three weeks and $300 to get my computers up and running again.

My hat is off to all paid staff and volunteers who make the MOA site possible and keep it running!

Jack

This new forum set up for the flea market sucks. Please fix it.

The new format has some plusses and minuses it appears. The Flea Market had to come inside the forum because of some recent upgrades to the forum software. The future is that the Flea Market will eventually be back to it's usual place as mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64995-Initial-Look-of-the-Forum

It will take some time...please be patient and make use of the current Flea Market until that time.

Not a heavy user of the MOA FM, but this format is familiar, and I have no problems with it. I suspect that the designers and admins will further subdivide the FM into more precise sections that will allow faster browsing and searching. Remember, a lot of this is volunteer, and after all, (if you consider the other member benefits) it's certainly cheep.

Actually, I miss the old Flea Market just because it was easier to browse everything, instead of just bikes, or just accessories. I wasn't necessarily looking for anything in particular, just seeing what's out there, keeping up on prices and occasionally buying something just because it looked like a bargain. It was still easy enough to to browse a particular category if I needed a specific item.

Actually, I miss the old Flea Market just because it was easier to browse everything, instead of just bikes, or just accessories. I wasn't necessarily looking for anything in particular, just seeing what's out there, keeping up on prices and occasionally buying something just because it looked like a bargain. It was still easy enough to to browse a particular category if I needed a specific item.

I feel the same way. But if it is more secure I will have to adjust. New way is not good for browsing or for the sellers exposure to buyers.

Jack

The current Flea Market has the same categories as before...that was obviousy intended. Of course, with the old Flea Market, you could (or should be able to) search for just a specific category, etc., which by default, you can still do. As for browsing everything, that's not possible with this arrangement, other wise you would never be able to find the categories because they would all be lumped together. If you visit the new Flea Market on a regular basis, you should be able to see the new posts quite easily, making it easy to see what's new.

You might try experimenting with the display options at the bottom of the screen. You can just show new threads over the last 2 days and can sort by thread titles. Or choose some other options. These settings will only be for the current session. But if you want to change these settings permanently, especially if you only visit the forum for the Flea Market ads, go to the Settings panel at the top right, select General Settings, and choose other options besides forum default for Thread Display Options. This can be as restrictive as you want.

The current Flea Market has the same categories as before...that was obviousy intended. Of course, with the old Flea Market, you could (or should be able to) search for just a specific category, etc., which by default, you can still do. As for browsing everything, that's not possible with this arrangement, other wise you would never be able to find the categories because they would all be lumped together. If you visit the new Flea Market on a regular basis, you should be able to see the new posts quite easily, making it easy to see what's new.

You might try experimenting with the display options at the bottom of the screen. You can just show new threads over the last 2 days and can sort by thread titles. Or choose some other options. These settings will only be for the current session. But if you want to change these settings permanently, especially if you only visit the forum for the Flea Market ads, go to the Settings panel at the top right, select General Settings, and choose other options besides forum default for Thread Display Options. This can be as restrictive as you want.

Thanks, I must admit I have not paid too much attention to the new flea market because I thought it was only temporary. Will learn more about it now that I know it is a permanent fix.

Jack

It's a "permanent" thing until it's not!! There is a new forum coming but it might be some time before that happens. When it does happen, the Flea Market will go back to its beloved place! So, until then, this is what we have to work with.

Thanks, I must admit I have not paid too much attention to the new flea market because I thought it was only temporary. Will learn more about it now that I know it is a permanent fix.

Jack

If they had different templates that we could use, it would make it more readable for some of us. I really don't like the theme and it's the only one. Why there's only one is something that doesn't make sense, at least to me.

I'd like the Flea market to force the posters to indicate location and price of whatever they are selling, trading etc. Could there be mandatory fields for posting in the Flea market? I also liked seeing images of what's being sold next to the basic sales pitch. In this respect the old flea market was good. Any chance of seeing some of these things in the new flea market?

Well, you're talking about a structure or form for posting which would be quite difficult to set up in the normal forum situation. The FAQs that were provided for the Flea Market mention all of this stuff...it just makes sense that if you were selling something in the yellow pages, on craigslist, ebay, whatever, you would provide all of that. Otherwise potential buyers would be turned off an go elsewhere.

Some members are bugging sellers for that info...sometimes the selling notices and updates the post, sometimes not. The moderators don't have time to police things like that.

At this stage, I don't see any other way to enforce the listing of basic data...if someone has a good idea that can be implemented without making the process burdensome, let us know!

Some members are bugging sellers for that info...sometimes the selling notices and updates the post, sometimes not. The moderators don't have time to police things like that.

Put deilenberger on it, the guy must have several thousand posts telling members they have to have the year and model of their bike in every thread title :)

Cleaning out old Ads

I would like to see some possibility of getting rid of ads in a certain period. I checked on one helmet in late Jan, I was advised it was sold and that ad still shows. If there is a way to delete in 30 days from original post or something that would sure make sense to me. I did prefer the old Flea Market, but will try and work with the new version.:dance

Back