Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Flea Market

Actually, I miss the old Flea Market just because it was easier to browse everything, instead of just bikes, or just accessories. I wasn't necessarily looking for anything in particular, just seeing what's out there, keeping up on prices and occasionally buying something just because it looked like a bargain. It was still easy enough to to browse a particular category if I needed a specific item.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Actually, I miss the old Flea Market just because it was easier to browse everything, instead of just bikes, or just accessories. I wasn't necessarily looking for anything in particular, just seeing what's out there, keeping up on prices and occasionally buying something just because it looked like a bargain. It was still easy enough to to browse a particular category if I needed a specific item.
    I feel the same way. But if it is more secure I will have to adjust. New way is not good for browsing or for the sellers exposure to buyers.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

The current Flea Market has the same categories as before...that was obviousy intended. Of course, with the old Flea Market, you could (or should be able to) search for just a specific category, etc., which by default, you can still do. As for browsing everything, that's not possible with this arrangement, other wise you would never be able to find the categories because they would all be lumped together. If you visit the new Flea Market on a regular basis, you should be able to see the new posts quite easily, making it easy to see what's new.

You might try experimenting with the display options at the bottom of the screen. You can just show new threads over the last 2 days and can sort by thread titles. Or choose some other options. These settings will only be for the current session. But if you want to change these settings permanently, especially if you only visit the forum for the Flea Market ads, go to the Settings panel at the top right, select General Settings, and choose other options besides forum default for Thread Display Options. This can be as restrictive as you want.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The current Flea Market has the same categories as before...that was obviousy intended. Of course, with the old Flea Market, you could (or should be able to) search for just a specific category, etc., which by default, you can still do. As for browsing everything, that's not possible with this arrangement, other wise you would never be able to find the categories because they would all be lumped together. If you visit the new Flea Market on a regular basis, you should be able to see the new posts quite easily, making it easy to see what's new.

You might try experimenting with the display options at the bottom of the screen. You can just show new threads over the last 2 days and can sort by thread titles. Or choose some other options. These settings will only be for the current session. But if you want to change these settings permanently, especially if you only visit the forum for the Flea Market ads, go to the Settings panel at the top right, select General Settings, and choose other options besides forum default for Thread Display Options. This can be as restrictive as you want.
    Thanks, I must admit I have not paid too much attention to the new flea market because I thought it was only temporary. Will learn more about it now that I know it is a permanent fix.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

It's a "permanent" thing until it's not!! There is a new forum coming but it might be some time before that happens. When it does happen, the Flea Market will go back to its beloved place! So, until then, this is what we have to work with.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Thanks, I must admit I have not paid too much attention to the new flea market because I thought it was only temporary. Will learn more about it now that I know it is a permanent fix.

Jack
    If they had different templates that we could use, it would make it more readable for some of us. I really don't like the theme and it's the only one. Why there's only one is something that doesn't make sense, at least to me.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

I'd like the Flea market to force the posters to indicate location and price of whatever they are selling, trading etc. Could there be mandatory fields for posting in the Flea market? I also liked seeing images of what's being sold next to the basic sales pitch. In this respect the old flea market was good. Any chance of seeing some of these things in the new flea market?
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

Well, you're talking about a structure or form for posting which would be quite difficult to set up in the normal forum situation. The FAQs that were provided for the Flea Market mention all of this stuff...it just makes sense that if you were selling something in the yellow pages, on craigslist, ebay, whatever, you would provide all of that. Otherwise potential buyers would be turned off an go elsewhere.

Some members are bugging sellers for that info...sometimes the selling notices and updates the post, sometimes not. The moderators don't have time to police things like that.

At this stage, I don't see any other way to enforce the listing of basic data...if someone has a good idea that can be implemented without making the process burdensome, let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Some members are bugging sellers for that info...sometimes the selling notices and updates the post, sometimes not. The moderators don't have time to police things like that.
    Put deilenberger on it, the guy must have several thousand posts telling members they have to have the year and model of their bike in every thread title
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Cleaning out old Ads

I would like to see some possibility of getting rid of ads in a certain period. I checked on one helmet in late Jan, I was advised it was sold and that ad still shows. If there is a way to delete in 30 days from original post or something that would sure make sense to me. I did prefer the old Flea Market, but will try and work with the new version.
    Michigan Mike K75Guy

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
    I would like to see some possibility of getting rid of ads in a certain period. I checked on one helmet in late Jan, I was advised it was sold and that ad still shows. If there is a way to delete in 30 days from original post or something that would sure make sense to me. I did prefer the old Flea Market, but will try and work with the new version.
    We are cleaning out old ads as we find them, as we are notified and when a for sale post mentions that the item is sold!!

Sometimes we catch hell when we delete something that "used to be there". We will get a rhythm going which should work for all. Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I cant make any sence of it. I know Im a dinasaur but what about user friendly. We're not all geeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 29161 View Post
    I cant make any sence of it. I know Im a dinasaur but what about user friendly. We're not all geeks.
    Welcome to the forum!
    When you click on the Flea Market tab at the top of the screen- http://forums.forums.bmwmoa.orgdispl...85-Flea-Market it brings you to the whole section where it is laid out in familiar categories. Take a peek and when you see a section you are interested in, click on that section.
    Spend a couple of minutes and you'll be fine. OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    [/I][/B]
    Sometimes we catch hell when we delete something that "used to be there". We will get a rhythm going which should work for all. Gary
    I had a ad deleted after 30 days, but I did not complain because I knew the intent was to clean out old ads after a certain time period.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I had a ad deleted after 30 days, but I did not complain because I knew the intent was to clean out old ads after a certain time period.
    The way we do this kind of delete allows us to bring it back (most of the time ) so if we do a delete and member wants it back up for more time, let us know what it was and where it was and we will do what we can to bring it back to the screen. OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200