• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which GS?

lomg timer,GSs

Had most all the GS models since 1982:). My current GSA1200'07 I bought in '08 as a leftover new one at dealer. 90000m now on the new1200. GAS mpg's is by FAR the GSA1200s worse CON, as its poor to speak easy! High 30s(37-38) is most common in the real world and I get to the mid 40s mpg only when riding VERY conservatively. 46mpg my highest ever and average speed was way down in the 40mph range on computer. THIS IS the bikes only flaw imo. READ the new (2013) 1200s literature REAL CLOSE and you'll see the mileage is computed at a steady 56mph all day! WHO does this??? A trick if youre not reading carefully. BMW has not improved the GS/GSA1200 mpg's and don't seem to care about it. I LOVE my GSA and its the only bike I have interest in these days and long time past. Get the smaller bikes if you want MPGs, the GSAs do not deliver in this regard. ALL ELSE, the GSA is superior, not even close call,imo. SEATS, even the GSA one stinks after a few 1000 miles:). Shopping seats at a dealer, comparing stock ones(all models) is a no brainer. Some look sweet and even so for a quick sit or 100 miler around the area. Get some miles added and you find the seats stink! All of'em. In summary, ALL the GS linelup is exciting to see, from 650-700-800-1200cc and they all offer a rider a degree of satisfaction. Sooooo many access.'s are now available, you can set up "all the above" to about any comfort level you desire. Only the 1200GSA comes with most added from factory(poor seat:(...), but its lots of $$$. Happy Trails, Randy

I've got my new F8GS where I want it now for all the big adventures planned for this year. Over the weekend I installed the Cee Bailey's windscreen.

IMG_1323-L.jpg

It's the depths of Winter here in New Hampshire. I've only ridden this bike about 200 miles yet. And none behind the new windscreen. I'm really ready for Spring. In the few miles I've done, I have found the F8 to be every bit of bike that I need. It lacks nothing that the R1200GSA had as far as comfort and handling. Fuel capacity is the only advantage in the 1200 that I can see. Otherwise, the F8 is a winner.

Ergonomics is another area the 1200 is better.

but its lots of $$$. Happy Trails, Randy

That's the downside. It's costs almost as much as a K1600GT and doesn't have luggage. The 2013 GSAs are retailing for 22K+ where I live. That's nuts. Otherwise it's almost perfect. If it had cruise control, it would be.

Beautiful bike. I really like the color. I'm studying the gs choices as well and appreciate this thread. Since economics is also a factor, the chain gang may be my better option as well. Enjoy.

As an around town tourer and back road bike, the GS would do you just fine. I went from an 1150R to a 12GS to do some off road with. Realistically the 12GS did much more road than dirt and was great at it. I loved my R, but the GS was more comfortable for me and did everything I wanted it to on the road. Weather protection was better than the R, but not as good as an RT. It was not affected by two up riding and I routinely got 45 mpg. If you want a bit more weather protection, the GSA may be better, but cost,weight and size should be considered. And by the time you go for the added protection and fuel, may as well look at an RT if you don't want to go off road. I road the RT and GS a fair bit before buying and found the RT just a bit more tight in the ergo department, the GS just fit me better.

Now that all being said, find a dealer with all three in stock, GS, GSA, RT and what ever else catches your eye and see if you can take each out on the same route for a longer ride and see what happens. I loved my GS, but wanted my wife to go with me more, enter the LT and we are both happy campers now. Never thought I would own such a big bike with all those comforts on it, but I love it. Would get another GS in a second if money did not matter, but it would be a one up, off roader. Don't know I would tour again on a GS after having the LT.

Back