• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS911 Bluetooth thoughts...

runnr548

BMW Pilot
I have been contemplating purchasing the BT GS911 for several months. I have read all over their web site, watched the videos, and searched a few forums. What do those of you who own and use them think? Also, if you have a used one for sale, in great shape...let me know. Thanks!

If you are asking specifically about the Bluetooth option - yes I like the convenience. YMMV on the extra $.

Yes, plus I am in no rush...just found out my son's car has a bad fuel injector and a couple of other things...so....

I have the version without bluetooth for servicing my F800GS. Sure, bluetooth would be nice. Do I need it and would it make the job faster? No and maybe just a little. Instead of connecting to the bike in 20 seconds, it might take me 60. My version makes a failsafe cable connection. I don't think it is worth the extra dollars.

What I am really waiting for is the GS-911 version that will service my K1600. It stinks that it looks like I'll have to buy a new version.:banghead

Unless you need it on the side of the road while 2000 miles from home.

Good point.
For me, I bought the regular version because I don't have a smart phone and when we're on trips I take a netbook computer I can connect to the GS-911 using a USB cable.
If you don't travel with a computer and have a smartphone, I think the Bluetooth version would be worth the extra money.

Traveled with a fellow this summer. His bike coughed and died while trying to get on the ferry 3/4 of the way to Inuvik. He brought out his 911 and his phone and had the trouble diagnosed in a few minutes. To me the extra few bucks is worth it and when I buy a 911 it will be the BT model.

Edited to note that if you do not have or want a smart phone then buy a cheap used one (does not mater who the carrier is) and use it for the blue tooth only. Most of them also have some sort of media player and camera so it can also be your music source and taking the odd snapshot without taking the good camera out.

Last edited:
I bought the Bluetooth/USB version for a Christmas present for myself, and so far I've only had a little bit of opportunity to use it. So far, I am very pleased with it. In the couple of days since Christmas that I have been familiarizing myself with it, I have realized a couple of things that I didn't fully realize before I bought it.

First of all, Hex Code, while they support Bluetooth, their website says that they do not officially support Bluetooth and they seem to recommend quite strongly against it. Rather, they seem to strongly recommend the USB cable approach.

Secondly, if you configure your device so that it only works on a mobile device, you will not have the complete functionality of the GS 911. You will be able to read and clear your fault codes, but you will not be able to do any service work. So if you want to get full use of the GS 911, you will need to run it on a PC and not on a mobile device. I bought myself an Acer netbook, and it seems to work fine.

Dave McDougall
2011 R1200 GS

Thanks for all of your thoughts! Dave, that is some of what I am wondering also. Keep the comments coming...it will make my purchase easier. :)

First of all, Hex Code, while they support Bluetooth, their website says that they do not officially support Bluetooth and they seem to recommend quite strongly against it. Rather, they seem to strongly recommend the USB cable approach.

Secondly, if you configure your device so that it only works on a mobile device, you will not have the complete functionality of the GS 911. You will be able to read and clear your fault codes, but you will not be able to do any service work. So if you want to get full use of the GS 911, you will need to run it on a PC and not on a mobile device. I bought myself an Acer netbook, and it seems to work fine.
I see the BT option for reading fault codes on the road or in an emergency as being the main use. Like I said earlier the fellow we were with had his fault codes read, trouble diagnosed and fixed, and back up and running in a few minutes and all he had to do was pull out his phone and the 911

Totally agree if it were me doing maintenance in the shop the notebook is the only way to go.

Most folks travel with a phone and a netbook of some sort. Should note that none of it works with Apple ipads or iphones. Not sure about an apple laptop but very much doubt it. To me for the extra $50 I think the BT version is well worth it.

I see the BT option for reading fault codes on the road or in an emergency as being the main use. Like I said earlier the fellow we were with had his fault codes read, trouble diagnosed and fixed, and back up and running in a few minutes and all he had to do was pull out his phone and the 911

Totally agree if it were me doing maintenance in the shop the notebook is the only way to go.

Most folks travel with a phone and a netbook of some sort. Should note that none of it works with Apple ipads or iphones. Not sure about an apple laptop but very much doubt it. To me for the extra $50 I think the BT version is well worth it.

Yes, re Apple Laptops: The only way to use my MacBook Pro is using PC emulation which many people do have in place so is technically possible while not strictly iOS. Nope no Apple Apps for iPhone or iPad variants.

I've never seen that mentioned on the Hexcode site.
On the road Blue-tooth will let you read fault codes to diagnose a problem and at home you can connect with a USB to have full functions and reset service reminders.
When you have a Bluetooth model you can do everything a USB model will do when connected to a USB cable.

I've never seen that mentioned on the Hexcode site.

Following is excerpted from the User Manual on Hexcode's website.

"The Setup window has 4 functions:

Select connection method

This is USB by default, and we recommend that you keep it that way. The only reason to choose a COM port, would be to set up a Virtual COM Port for your Bluetooth connection. Please Note that although we give you this ability, connecting the PC-based GS-911 application to a bluetooth enabled GS-911 interface is NOT officially supported. The reason for this is simple - there are a myriad of bluetooth drivers, and most of them are very buggy, and we just don't have the spare time to support any or all of these drivers! However, if you are a power user and have the ability to set up a Virtual COM Port, then it is a formality to get it connected to the GS-911 application - just choose the correct Virtual COM Port!"

Dave

Back