• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New improved final drive 2013

BlackdogGS

I've owned many BMW's including a 2005 GS and now a 2010 GS. I have never experienced any FD failures. The 2005 had 50,000 miles on it when I sold it and the 2010 currently has 40,000 miles. Even if I did have an issue I'd probably fix it in my garage and press on. I do however think that any final drive should last 150,000 miles without a problem. My question is: will the new water cooled boxer be fitted with a more robust FD?

A bit hard to know right now.
At least the failure modes of the current big hole drives are known so when enough design detail is known an educated guess might be possible- but it would still be only a guess. We known the side is flipped so that means different parts. Then there is the info re bearing sizes and fits but even if you have it all, you still don't know about supplier parts quality or assembly quality.
Theory is nice but 5 yrs of road use of the produced fleet will tell the tale.

We known the side is flipped so that means different parts. Then there is the info re bearing sizes and fits but even if you have it all, you still don't know about supplier parts quality or assembly quality.
Theory is nice but 5 yrs of road use of the produced fleet will tell the tale.

The flipped drive has been on the Wedge K's since '05 and seemingly less reports of issues.
The internals may change...but only BMW AG knows that info it seems as part numbers don't tell the story.

Back