• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bar end mirrors for C650GT

gbuchner

Le Motard du Texas
Got Bike Bandit's DC folding bar end mirrors, but could not get them to fit on the C650GT handlebars.

The original mirrors are great (for looks that is), but they are mounted in the front and the blind spot is so wide, I can't see what's in the lane behind me.

I have been looking for a solution, does anyone knows of a set of handlebar end mirrors that will fit. Any other idea?

Thanks,

Guy

In some of the pictures I've seen, the Sport mirrors look wider. I don't know if they really are wider or if they will mount in the same spot as the
GT mirrors. If you live near a shop, you might want to stop in and check it out.

Got Bike Bandit's DC folding bar end mirrors, but could not get them to fit on the C650GT handlebars.

The original mirrors are great (for looks that is), but they are mounted in the front and the blind spot is so wide, I can't see what's in the lane behind me.

I have been looking for a solution, does anyone knows of a set of handlebar end mirrors that will fit. Any other idea?

Thanks,

Guy

It sounds like you might have them aimed too high or too far inward - I can't imagine not being able to see behind me with these, they're quite large - have you tried riding with them in slightly different positions than you're used to? As an alternative, I think I remember reading that they make aspheric mirrors for the EU that you could order to fit in the normal housings rather than adding another set of mirrors to the bike...? (EDIT: Just googled this, yes, it's right in the catalog, see, e.g., http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/_common/pdf/urban_mobility/catalogue_c650Sport_c650GT_my2012_EAL.pdf and they're listed right there.)

Thanks,

Guy

no he is right. No workaround for these mirrors. Essent useless! bar ends would be an addition. As more complain BMW hopefully will engineer a solution (a new mount bring them 2 inches closer and outward). I don't like aspherics anyway. Yes sport doen not have this problem as bad.

C 650 GT ASPHERICAL MIRROR:
Increased range of vision due to curved mirrored surface almost completely eliminating blind spot.

'almost' will not cut it.

Quack said in post #5 that bar ends would be an addition. A bit too much of a good thing to me, but it's his bike. I'll probably opt for asphericals, hopefully these are a US offering as well.

More useful than a 360 degree front camera that has a large monitor attached to the tail light. Which isn't saying much.

A solution that is used on the modern Vespa is to use Jetting Barbells. Then you can attach a small mirror like the ones from CRG.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 139
Thanks...

Thanks for the comments....Great ideas!

Have been busy with work, but as soon as I get a chance, I will look for a "rear-view camera". If that does not work, I'll try the Jetting Barbells.

Guy

The Jetting Barbells for the Vespa will not fit. Only suggested, as an example, you might machine your existing bar ends to replicate the Barbells.

I have to agree that the mirrors on the C650GT leave a lot to be desired. I've added 2" blind spot mirrors but that doesn't help in seeing what is directly behind me. Sometime the cars follow so close that I have no idea their back there. I'd like to add the aspherical mirrors but have a hard time justifying the cost... if it keeps me safe then there's value.

What are others doing to overcome mirror's deficiencies?

SAENG Blind-Spot Mirrors solved my problem

Thanks for the comments....Great ideas!

Have been busy with work, but as soon as I get a chance, I will look for a "rear-view camera". If that does not work, I'll try the Jetting Barbells.

Guy

Took me a while, but finally got around searching for a solution. Did not find a rear view camera, then ran across SAENG ?Quick-Scans? bar-end mirrors ( https://www.saeng.com/home.php ) . The mirrors are light weight and they look good on the scooter. The pictures speak for themselves?.

Bar End HB1.jpg

Bar End HB2.jpg

Chuck at SAENG figured out how to fit these mirrors to the BMW scooter and I had no problem with the installation, I just followed the instructions he had given me.

Very customer oriented gentleman. He could not have been more helpful.

Got used to the mirrors quickly, the objects are closer than they look in the mirror, but the angle of vision is very wide; NO MORE BLIND SPOT.

Back