• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

International MC show in NYC Friday Jan 18th. Who is going???

LTLJOHN

ltljohn
I am planning on attending the show Friday Jan 18th in the tradition of "The Big Gig". Meet for lunch around 11:00 then over to the show. I like Friday because it is not as crowded. After the show dinner and a beverage or two. So ..... who is in?

I'll be there Friday with some other old-pharts from our local club. Sort of a tradition with us.. see the show before it gets too crowded. Used to go in several days to work the MOA booth, but haven't been asked the past few years (think it was me?).. :whistle

I plan on going Friday afternoon, early evening this year as in the past years, always went on a Saturday... way too crowded. In the past it was more of a social thing for me, bunch of guys that I rode with would use that as an excuse to meet/get-together (riders from multiple states).. which kinda "hindered me" from really checking out the show. Knowing my personality, I'm better off just walking around by myself so I can stop and poke at what I want without "worrying" about everyone else.

So yes, I'm going.. along with my neighbor. Hoping afterwards to maybe go to Harolds' Deli in Edison for a "feast"...

Phil W2GE

NYC motorcycle show

Just jumping in to say I'm meeting up with 2-3 friends from NJ to spend some time on Saturday. I was supposed to meet them there last year, but the snow was a bit more than I anticipated. They made it in, but I waited till Sunday. Spent a few hours there and continued my trip home to Cape Cod.

be there

I will be there friday around 11;30. Going shopping for accessories. Can't afford a new bike, love mine. Look for me. I am the beyond middle aged fat balding guy wearing glasses. Oh, I look familiar.:wave

Ims show 2013, javits, nyc

Hi Little John,

I'm in for Saturday, and if the wife lets me, also for Sunday.

Just 58 miles away from NYC out on Long Island, so no biggie.

Haven't heard about any plans for the Big Gig, and/or a Raffle for the PBTF.

Moderators please ???

Muriel, are you coming down?
Josh, are you coming over?
George and Kathy?

Ride warmly everyone!

Jim

I will be there friday around 11;30. Going shopping for accessories. Can't afford a new bike, love mine. Look for me. I am the beyond middle aged fat balding guy wearing glasses. Oh, I look familiar.:wave

Rip - you can sleep in another 30 minutes.. show opens at noon on Friday.. :)

About 12 from the Ocean State BMW club rented a 15 pass van for Friday.
See you there

Bill

Bill - see you there. BMW booth at 2PM or so? Or if you want to meet us for lunch, "The Twins" 421 9th Ave # 1, New York, NY 10001.. it's a few blocks from Javitts. http://nymag.com/listings/bar/twins-pub/

1-twinsirishpub.jpg

We'll be in the back dining room.

Went, tired feet, meh..

Nothing exciting for me. Lots of fringe and patches. Usually there are some interesting small vendors - there were less it seems this year, at least less I found interesting. The majority of vendors were pitching stuff for the fringe/chrome/loud-pipes crowd and a few had sport-squid stuff. MOA booth was adequately manned (by members of our local club.. Hi Cy, Hi Roger!) Good location facing the BMW booth (near the Husky bike display.)

Just wasn't a lot that interested me. I have about no interest in Japanese bikes, or Indians or fake HD's, or huge Victory bikes. The Triumph booth was decent, as was the Ducati booth, but since I wasn't in the market for a new bike my interest was just looking at them.

Lee-Parks gloves booth was there again, which is about the best way to buy them, since you can mix/match between pairs to get the perfect fit for your hands (the gloves aren't all exactly the same size, so mix and match is a really useful thing.) Great gloves BTW - expensive but well worth it. Gerbing had a booth there, but it seemed a bit odd, very little merchandise on display - just a rack of jackets marked with their sizes on the sleeves for people to try on to get a size. Looks like they spent a lot of money on a booth, but I couldn't see the real return on the money. There were some other heated gear vendors selling brands I've never heard of. No big boot vendors. No big riding suit vendors (if you don't count fringe). No big farkle vendors (stuff like GPS mounts, GPS's - that sort of thing.) A few booths selling helmets, but no Schuberth that I saw. A few places selling Cardo Rider stuff.

Worth going? I guess - it's the only game in town for mid-winter bike entertainment in Gotham. The only good thing was - due to the lack of stuff that interested me, aside from my entrance ticket I spent no money. Lunch was good at Twins.

I thought it was just me!

I'm really glad to read your write-up Don.. I left the show with this weird feeling of "I must have missed something!"

I blamed it on the fact that I ran into a few friends (one in particular) I really wanted to catch up with and was walking around the show the whole time yakking so much and "that was the reason". But, you're right.. it was "meh."

My primary purpose of going this year was to try to talk to Edelweis or Beaches or one of the Alps touring peeps. No tour people were there that I saw. That was a disappointment.

I did get a new pair of custom earplugs with the sound tubes from Marilyn (PlugUp). I learned a couple things about my Scala Rider G9 from the vendors, picked up a new catalog from Touratech and Twisted Throttle, got my photo with the MotoGP umbrella girl, got to see in person some GSA goodies. I'm glad I went on Friday this year. I've been previously on Saturday and it gets unbearably crowded by noon.

Also, we followed Don's recommendation in a posting for The Twins. Good choice.
Tom

Not as good as previous years

Went to the show on Friday to do some shopping for riding gear and bike stuff. All I bought were custom ear plugs. Did a lot of research for perforated leather gear (not track leathers), heated gear, lights, etc. Wasn't much of a selection and in some cases cost more than what you pay on the internet. The vendors were thin.
I liked the line up of Triumph and Ducati. Overall it was the same ol same ol. If you ride a Harley, there was a lot more to look at and buy.
It was nice looking at the hot models and sitting on various bikes. What else is there to do in winter except look at bikes and hot babes.

Back