• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HID Lighting Supplier 2011 R1200RT

zenduddhist

Looking for an HID Conversion kit for my R1200RT. I know that a lot of members have used the 1offmotorsports products, but they are no longer in business. What other vendors do you all suggest?

Thanks,

Chris

I use ebay for HID lights. You might or might not need to modify the low voltage harness (I'm an electronic tech). If you're looking for something that is plug and play, someone else will have to answer.

I'm very pleased with my HID 55w slim-lines from DDM Tuning on a 2011 R1200RT (replacing both low-beam bulbs)... no Canbus issues. Great price ($40 / pair).

By the time you are done with harness and capacitor and mounting brackets they are more like $64.00 each

I went with Yana-shiki 6K no purple, no blue! Bright & white. Been in for 2 years, Flawless and a 2 year warranty.

http://www.yanashiki.com/product_p/hidh7-6k.htm

All balllasts and bulbs are not created equal. The Yanashiki is what our local BMW dealer decided to stock.

That is a great price. Tell us more. What was the install like? Can you. Do both low and high?
High beams are a no-no. HID's take a few moments to come to full illumination, hence impractical for High Beam.

Try an Osram highouput 65W h7 bulb for high beam

What temp bulbs did you get?
I got a set of 8000K, then ordered a pair of replacement bulbs $15! as 6000K. Put one of each in the headlights... gets attention and gives me the best of high sign-reflectivity from the 8000K and better daylight-like light from the 6000K. I put the 8000K on the drivers-right side to pickup the signs.

That is a great price. Tell us more. What was the install like?
Well, they're pretty typical, you pull out the current bulb and drill a hole in the back-housing.. then you pass a rubber grommet through the hole. This grommet has four wires in it, two connect to the OLD bulb plug to bring power back to the ballast, then then high-voltage goes back through in two other wires to a new bulb socket... the bulb itself is just as easy/hard as a normal bulb change. I zip-tied the ballasts together above & below the Y-yoke that supports the oil cooler.

IMGP3051.jpg

Basically procedure as the install in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs9guxU1tzY

Can you. Do both low and high?
I did only the low beams. I DO NOT recommend using HID as high-beams since they have a brief light-off flash and a short warm up period for light to get to full strength. This would be bad for anything but the wide open areas where they can be left on... use a high-watt or LED for that.

I'd be interested in how they actually function. From what I've seen, simply replacing the standard bulbs with HID bulbs creates excess throw. How do these function using the standard RT reflectors?

I had HID's on my bike for the ride o Americade. Removed hem and went back to the stock bulbs in the hotel parking lot...................in the rain! Hated the light pattern. I actually like the stock bulbs better. Yes there is 'more' light with the HID's but it is better focused with the stock bulbs.

I had HID's on my bike for the ride o Americade. Removed hem and went back to the stock bulbs in the hotel parking lot...................in the rain! Hated the light pattern. I actually like the stock bulbs better. Yes there is 'more' light with the HID's but it is better focused with the stock bulbs.

Whether an HID switch works well or not largely depends on the geometry of your reflector. It works great with my Vstrom, not so good with the Scion.

I'd be interested in how they actually function. From what I've seen, simply replacing the standard bulbs with HID bulbs creates excess throw. How do these function using the standard RT reflectors?

Work great in an RT!

I am a bit puzzled by Sedanman's comments. I would NEVER go back to standard bulbs. Maybe he got some junk replacements or something seems amiss. The HIDs put out about triple the light at about 63% of the watts and I love the pattern! Go figure!:dunno

As long as your headlight is adjusted properly, no flashes from on-coming!

If your first bad set was on that 2011 RT you either got poorly made bulbs or somehow they didn't get aligned in the holder properly.

The key to getting an HID to work decently is for its hot gas spot be in precisely the same spot as the filament of the mounted H-7 bulbs that are stock. The H-7 bulb has a short and compact filament and the hot gas volume of an HID capsule can be a good deal larger. Either the larger size or position change can change beam pattern.

Not sure what brands to tell you but because none of the H-7 to HID bulb conversions come from the big names in lighting and aren't standardized dimensions in the way the DOT or euro approved stuff is, some variability between brands is to be expected. Also, there is in general a fair amount of very poor lighting of all types coming out of Asia from crappy halogen bulbs to poorly designed HID ballasts. Its always "buyer beware" if you buy Asian sourced lighting. On average the Japanese stuff is a bit better but they go in for the "110W fro a 55W bulb" kind of crap big time so you always need to be wary of deceptive claims,

If your first bad set was on that 2011 RT you either got poorly made bulbs or somehow they didn't get aligned in the holder properly.

The key to getting an HID to work decently is for its hot gas spot be in precisely the same spot as the filament of the mounted H-7 bulbs that are stock. The H-7 bulb has a short and compact filament and the hot gas volume of an HID capsule can be a good deal larger. Either the larger size or position change can change beam pattern.

Not sure what brands to tell you but because none of the H-7 to HID bulb conversions come from the big names in lighting and aren't standardized dimensions in the way the DOT or euro approved stuff is, some variability between brands is to be expected. Also, there is in general a fair amount of very poor lighting of all types coming out of Asia from crappy halogen bulbs to poorly designed HID ballasts. Its always "buyer beware" if you buy Asian sourced lighting. On average the Japanese stuff is a bit better but they go in for the "110W fro a 55W bulb" kind of crap big time so you always need to be wary of deceptive claims,

I was hoping you'd post on this. I thought the same thing, bulbs or more likely bulb alignment.

Afterall the reflector and lens has not changed so these are the only variables.:rocker

Last edited:
Ok, Who has a sucessful HID swap and where did you get the parts? Please don't tell me about someothing that is no longer available ( 1offmotorsports )

Darn glad I bought mine from Ebay more than two years ago. Entire kit, 2 ballasts (Hella) two bulbs and all necessary wiring including good instructions. $35.00 shipped to me and an hour to install.

Back