• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Moving to Washington . . .

ORexpat

Old . . and . . Slow
. . . . the LEFT Washington.

Looks like I'll be retiring for the second time in the next month or so. Looking forward to leaving the right coast and living on the left. Just e-mailed the rally chairs volunteering to help out next summer in Salem--went to college in Eugene a couple of centuries ago.

Born in the little town of John Day, joined the Navy after college, and hardly ever returned. But now I will!!

And very much looking forward to doing some PNW and intermountain west riding.

2012-10-27at14-39-38_HDR-1.jpg

Early welcome to Washington

Welcome to your upcoming move to Washington. I live in SW Washington (Winlock, just south of Chehalis). Where are you going to relocate?

I grew up in Redmond, OR and spent many days elk hunting south of Strawberry Mountain in your old neck of the woods.

Let me know when you get settled in and we can do a ride or many together. I retire in July 2013, but only work a day or two a week until then.

Be safe,
Keith

I bought a house in Silverdale, near Bremerton, during my last sea tour on NIMITZ just after Desert Storm. Kept it, just sold the Virginia place and paid off the Silverdale place and now I can afford to retire . . .

Would love to meet you and ride. Marines and Navy always give each other flack--until the Army or Air Force show up, then it's Sea Service . . . . :laugh

One son on active duty, aviation electrician stationed on the HW BUSH. One daughter just got boarded for an Army commission. Now I get to play both sides of the fence!

I'll try to keep track of this thread and post when I get out there. Should be mid-February, but we may take the southern route depending on weather.

Lookin' forward to it.

After you get out here, drop me a note and I'll buy you a cup of coffee at Barbie's Cafe at the Seabeck Marina...

Good luck with the move!

Cheers! :drink

Wow, that's close . . .

Coffee sounds like a plan. I'm looking forward to the forest roads out there.

My son and my GS at Dolly Sods in the West Virginia highlands, April 2010. Before I learned to put TKC's on it!

IMG_2709.jpg

I've really enjoyed our trips to Laurel Fork with an ADV crew.

IMG_4414.jpg

So you have a GS and an Airhead? Cool!

That means you can post on several forums here! LOL

I also happen to frequent the Starbucks near Albertsons in Silverdale, if you'd prefer something other than just a plain cup a joe. ;)

See ya!

Welcome to Washington state. If you ever venture way up north there's quite a few nice forest rides around here as well. Mt. Baker is nice after the spring thaw and of course there's the ride up to Whistler in BC. It would be nice to have all you guys come up from the greater Seattle area for a group ride someday.

Cheers,
Steve

That also would be great. Around the Baker/Shucksan (sp) area, then maybe over to the dry side . . .

I'd sure like to attend the Chief Joseph rally down in John Day. Haven't been back for several years. The Malheur forest roads would be good riding, I think.

That also would be great. Around the Baker/Shucksan (sp) area, then maybe over to the dry side . . .

I'd sure like to attend the Chief Joseph rally down in John Day. Haven't been back for several years. The Malheur forest roads would be good riding, I think.

As long as we keep on asphalt roads I have a r1100 rsl and I would leave the old girl (1967 r50/2) at home.

You might have been at Ft. McNair; ICAF?

Don't want to get too real, too quickly . . . we'll probably keep an e-subscription to the Washington Post for a while. :laugh

DCREZ, great term for the cranial rectumitis that seems to afflict at least 535 of our local folks--not counting the idiots on the Beltway. Out here, red light running seems to be a sport. :huh

Very much looking forward to getting outa' here.

Here!

Well, made it out west! With most of the boxes unpacked and the sun out today, went for a ride. SeabeckS, must have been near your place.

Took a loop around the western part of the Kitsap Peninsula this afternoon.

Near Seabeck. More of the Olympics. Hood Canal and Dabob Bay in the middle ground.

IMG_1451_zps7e761122.jpg

Same spot, another view of the Hood Canal.

IMG_1452_zps4c447e0e.jpg

Hmm. Wonder why I kept my house here and moved back when I retired . . . .

Attachments

• IMG_1454_zps4d8b4194.jpg
    IMG_1454_zps4d8b4194.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 40
Couldn't resist a photo of Mt Rainier on a sunny day in February in the Pacific NorthWET.

IMG_1459_zpse7432016.jpg

Well, made it out west! With most of the boxes unpacked and the sun out today, went for a ride. SeabeckS, must have been near your place.

Took a loop around the western part of the Kitsap Peninsula this afternoon.

Near Seabeck. More of the Olympics. Hood Canal and Dabob Bay in the middle ground.

View attachment 37938

Same spot, another view of the Hood Canal.

View attachment 37939

Hmm. Wonder why I kept my house here and moved back when I retired . . . .

First two pictures are Big Beef Creek and Estuary...the last pic showcases The Brothers in the Olympic range. Building a house later this year which will sort of feature The Brothers as a view point. On your GS there are some somewhat interesting backroads a bit further south on the Peninsula. I still get "lost" wandering around down that a way.

Cheers!

. . . . the LEFT Washington.

Looks like I'll be retiring for the second time in the next month or so. Looking forward to leaving the right coast and living on the left. Just e-mailed the rally chairs volunteering to help out next summer in Salem--went to college in Eugene a couple of centuries ago.

Born in the little town of John Day, joined the Navy after college, and hardly ever returned. But now I will!!

And very much looking forward to doing some PNW and intermountain west riding.

2012-10-27at14-39-38_HDR-1.jpg

Congratulations on your second retirement and move to Washington. Hope this one sticks?
Spent a week at the John Day Oregon State Park with my wife, Truck camping last year. Loved the town and surrounding area. Some nice folks live there.
John

Back