• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS common glitches? R1100R transmission fail.

designerd

I bought a '96 R11000r this past spring. Love the bike. Rode the Blue Ridge PKWY to the Tail of the Dragon and did the Lake Michigan Loop this summer. One problem. The bike transmission started skipping in 3rd gear. Only 50k on the bike. I have read that this is a common glitch with this bike and am hesitating to plunk down $2-3k on a bike that only cost me $3500. SO, while riding down some gravel roads in the Michigan U.P., I was wishing I had a GS and figured what the hell, let's pick up a used one. I was hoping that someone out there might be aware of any similar problem with the GS BEFORE I buy and thus geta repair bill that will be more than the bike is worth. Thanks folks!!

Look for an R1100GS from 98 or 99, or a 1200GS from 2007 or later. The 98-99 GS is particularly bulletproof. Some of the other years, not so much.

"
"The bike transmission started skipping in 3rd gear. Only 50k on the bike. I have read that this is a common glitch with this bike. "

really? I can't recall er hearing anything specific about transmission internals being particularly problematic with this era oilhead.
Anybody with support or negation on this? (just curious, and always interested in gaining knowledge, as my 2001 6 speed is one of the best operating and smoothest shifting BMW boxes i've ever encountered.)

"
"The bike transmission started skipping in 3rd gear. Only 50k on the bike. I have read that this is a common glitch with this bike. "

really? I can't recall er hearing anything specific about transmission internals being particularly problematic with this era oilhead.
Anybody with support or negation on this? (just curious, and always interested in gaining knowledge, as my 2001 6 speed is one of the best operating and smoothest shifting BMW boxes i've ever encountered.)

It was a fairly common problem - usually second gear - on the M93 transmissions (1994). Not so much a problem on the later boxes. But, any transmission can get rounded shift dogs or a bent shift fork. I don't think it is a common problem but it can happen to any of them.

but the major issues of tha M93 were resolved by '94 or '95 with the newer M94. right? this bikes a '96, with fairly low miles. bottom line for the OP is either get it rebuilt and not worry about an "endemic" problem, or just go for the upgrade. and that 2007+ would be quite an upgrade. :dance

I seem to recall people having the same types of issues until the advent of the M97. I remember catching a service manager in a candid moment in 97 or 98 saying they had replaced dozens of transmissions in the earlier models.

Hey OP, you may consider looking for a used M97 transmisson for your bike. You could probably pick one up for less than a grand. Transmissions from other models might work too.

Edit: Beemer Boneyard has an M94 for only $325. You might end up in the same boat eventually, but for that kind of money it's worth a shot. Call them and ask them about the history of the transmission. They are outstanding guys to work with.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cotr1.html

My brand-new 1997 R1100RT was stiff and crunchy from Day One, shifting from second to third and third to second.
At first, the local dealer said "It just needs to break in."
Then they tried different oils in there (80W90 dino vs. 75W90 synth vs. 75-140 synth).
Then it started rejecting the shift, either bouncing back (with a grind) or later finding a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd.
Transmission replaced under warranty.

Back