• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hold-downs where the gas tank usually is-

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I'm not a real fan of tank bags but I would like to have a way to fasten a map case to the plastic that covers the battery area (where the gas tank would be-usually) of my F800GS. I was thinking of running a row of three footman loops down each side so I could secure a map-case, Gerbing controller, or a random small tank bag.

FootmanLoops.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else has done a mod like this or has had a better idea.
Gary

I'm not a real fan of tank bags but I would like to have a way to fasten a map case to the plastic that covers the battery area (where the gas tank would be-usually) of my F800GS. I was thinking of running a row of three footman loops down each side so I could secure a map-case, Gerbing controller, or a random small tank bag.

FootmanLoops.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else has done a mod like this or has had a better idea.
Gary

That looks harsh. I would use Velcro. Back stick-em on both tank and map holder. No holes and can remove stickem at later date with no intrusion.

Jack

I would not do that.

check out aerostich, twisted throttle, wonderlich etc for their tank bags and map holder that are designed to fit on the F800.

may be easier in the end

I would not do that.

check out aerostich, twisted throttle, wonderlich etc for their tank bags and map holder that are designed to fit on the F800.

may be easier in the end

I have the Wonderlich Tankbag made for the f800/f650. I like it a lot. My suggestion was if he did not want to spend the money for the tankbag and only have a map holder. Good tank bags made specifically for the f800/650 are $250-400.

Jack

I just run a strap from tank bag to frame where the top engine bolt is located. I have buckle in strap for easy removal if needed.

If you just want a map take some 3M masking tape (the clean release kind) and put your map in a large ziploc baggie and tape it to the "tank" leaving the opening untaped so you can get the map in and out for changing regions.

Magnets

Buy a magnetic map case/tankbag. Glue some magnets on the inside of the plastic tank cover to match the placement in the map case.

Well, I made the jump yesterday at the Twisted Throttle open house and bought the "spider" shown above with the quick attach ring, lock kit and the "day pack". The day pack is smaller than I was originally going to go but seems to fit the space real well. My intention is to attach some black nylon webbing to the bag and it should allow me to clip the Gerbing controller or the IPod on with easy access. I also purchased the gadget holder for the future. Fit and finish of all the parts- SW Motech- Bags Connection was real nice.
The install left things a little cramped for the ignition key so if you try this, push the puck forward as far as you can.
Here is the installed product-

Attachments

• tank bag.jpg
    tank bag.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 79
Back