• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tank Bag

dogmoon

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas, I just bought a new 2013 GS 1200 Adventure and I had most of the farkles that I wanted added on when I bought it from Gateway BMW, the only thing I didnt get was a good tank bag Im looking for one I can use for extensive traveling on long trips! I would like to hear some pros and cons of your tank bags, make, size, durability, pictures, and what not so I can decide on what to get thanks and again I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas, I just bought a new 2013 GS 1200 Adventure and I had most of the farkles that I wanted added on when I bought it from Gateway BMW, the only thing I didnt get was a good tank bag Im looking for one I can use for extensive traveling on long trips! I would like to hear some pros and cons of your tank bags, make, size, durability, pictures, and what not so I can decide on what to get thanks and again I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas back at you.

Check out the Wolfman line of tank bags. I never have heard anything bad about their tank bags. Ever. They have other things that a GS rider might find a need for.

Have a safe riding year for 2013.

-Lynn

I've got a Wolfman tank bag that I bought to use on my Klr.....when I bought the Beemer, I moved the Wolfman bag to it....lots of room and it fits great...quality product!

WolfMan

Plus 1 on the Wolf Man bags. They seem to be made for the Tall Slanted tanks of the Adventure bikes. I used the big one on a V-Strom for a turn to Alaska and back.

On my bike I use the BMW tank bag, because it needs no cover to handle rain, it is waterproof. By the time you cover any other tank bag in a sudden downpour, your bag and its enclosures are soaked in another bag.

For convenience and stability of attachment the BMW bags have no equal. I've had a number of their model-dedicated bags since an '86 K75.

My favourite though, is an old-school Eclipse Sportpack that I've used with my non-BMW bikes for over 20 years. Still going strong and when I need a mounting harness for another bike or a map window wears out, replacement parts are easily available.

For convenience and stability of attachment the BMW bags have no equal. I've had a number of their model-dedicated bags since an '86 K75.

My favourite though, is an old-school Eclipse Sportpack that I've used with my non-BMW bikes for over 20 years. Still going strong and when I need a mounting harness for another bike or a map window wears out, replacement parts are easily available.

Thanks Dave I will check into the BMW tank bags I sure they will have them for the GSA!

On my bike I use the BMW tank bag, because it needs no cover to handle rain, it is waterproof. By the time you cover any other tank bag in a sudden downpour, your bag and its enclosures are soaked in another bag.

Thanks Jordan I will check into the BMW Bags!

BMW tank bag

BMW tank bags cost too much and the vinyl map holder only lasts about a yr.

That said. They work.

They are big and have no pockets. It turns out that is a great design because they hold everything and everything is easy to find.

They detach easily and stay attached.

They are waterproof.

I have a 99 RT and have used the bag every day and find that I rarely use the saddlebags because I can carry everything in the tank bag.

On the whole they are worth the money.

BMW bags are good, but...

True on the GS map case. Mine has a crack in the map section and has yellowed from the sun. Anyone know a shop that can replace the window in these bags?

Mine, three years old is still good, but when/if it yellows it comes off as never used. I use a Garmin Zumo 660 to go anywhere and everywhere. I have a had it on the bike since I have the bike.

Tank Bags

I purchased a BMW tank bag for my K1300S and have no issues with it (including map pocket). I have found it to be exceptional and rarely remove it other than for track days and fill ups (which is done quite easily).

Kent

GS Tankbags MUST be waterproof - Wolfman bags are excellent and waterproof as advertised.

BMW tank bag

Map case can be replaced. I live in Madison Wi. and it was replaced by a local shop (Kriss sewing). The shop specializes in sewing items for boats outdoor patios ect. I think most cities have similar sewing shops. The replacement was $75 and it looks as good today as it did two years ago when it was replaced.

I use the tank bag on every ride and have 44K on the bike.

One of the things I like about the Eclipse tank bag is that the map window is a separate piece that attaches with snap fasteners. A new one costs about $15. If you insert the map correctly, you can just flip the map pocket over to follow the next panel.

The map window is also available in gloss and matte finishes. I prefer the matte as is doesn't reflect the sun. Another trick piece is an accessory shoulder harness that snaps into the bag mounts so it can be worn as a back pack when you're off the bike.

Very happy with my Wolfman. Picked it over the BMW and Wunderlich, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Back