• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 R1200RT electrics question

I have just acquired a 2008 R1200RT (CAN bus electronics), after decades of riding nothing but Airheads. I want to install a cigarette lighter - a real, honest-to-goodness lighter, not a cigarette type adapter.

Can I connect a standard cigarette lighter directly to the battery (with an in-line fuse, of course) without interfering with, or damaging, the CAN bus electronics? If so, is there any advantage to the Powerlet lighter model AKT-002

http://www.powerlet.com/product/cigarette-socket-panel-mount-kit-48-lighter-element/455

over a standard auto parts store lighter?

Yes you can go direct to battery.
Powerlet stuff is generally well made whch is more than one can say for a lot of the jnuk parts being imported from China and sold at many auto places these days..Plus they will make you about any wire length you want if you call..

Wiring accessories directly to the battery through a fuse (or through a fuse block to allow for more accessories - either always powered or switched with the ignition) is the way to bypass the CANbus.

Powerlet makes nice products designed to withstand the current demands and moisture encountered on motorcycles. I suspect most accessories (like heated clothing) would require a DIN plug (BMW), coax, or SAE style. While many auto electronics would favor the cigarette lighter. The DIN style makes a more secure connection as far as I know.

Cheers!

Direct to the battery with fuse is fine for an honest to goodness lighter. Its use is light and shuts off automatically.

No chance of drain on the battery. Hot (powered) when key is off.

David

2008 R1200RT electrics question Your Message

Thanks for your responses.

I have a related question: I have a heated vest that I have used for years on my old Airheads. There is no documentation for this vest. I have measured the current draw of the vest at approximately 3 amps. Theoretically this should make the vest useable with the bike's standard accessory outlets (rated at 10 amps maximum). However, I have no way to measure any potential "inductive kick" when the vest is plugged in or unplugged. I also don't know whether the CANbus is protected from such a kick, if one occurs.

So, the question is: Is this vest safe to use with the bike's standard accessory outlet?

No problem- will work fine.
The 10A limit for your accessory circuit includes both outlets (10A total, not 20A) if you have a rear accessory outlet so won't support two sets of gear (rider and pillion). But you can run your jacket or vest plus gloves.

If you wire your cigarette lighter direct to the battery, the fuse should be as close to the battery as possible to minimize the un-fused portion of the wiring. Besides lighting-up your smokes (is that really what you are using it for?), the socket makes a handy place to plug in a battery tender.

Happy New Year!
pete

Back