• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 R1200GS - what is this plug ?

dyg

Below is a pic of a plug underneath the headlight assembly, behind the oil cooler. Anyone know what it is for? Thx - happy holidays!

Plug.jpg

Can't tell from the pic, but looks like the power connector for the factory GPS. If so you can buy the adapter at the dealer to wire up your gps. On my RT it sits right under the headlights.
That's my guess from the picture.

The only down side to using the factory GPS plug is that if you use a canbus smart charger, it turns your gps on when the canbus comes on. I remove my gps when in storage so no problem.

Can't tell from the pic, but looks like the power connector for the factory GPS. If so you can buy the adapter at the dealer to wire up your gps. On my RT it sits right under the headlights.
That's my guess from the picture.

I live on the Big Island of HI - if I need a gps here, then I should not be riding! :laugh

Thanks for your answer. BTW, can the plug be used as a hot for other accessories?

You might get more info in the correct forum for this which is the Hexheads/Camheads.

This Oilheads forum is for 2 Cylinder Oil/Air cooled Boxer engines up to 1150cc plus R1200C models, 1994-2005.

I once found a dangling connector like that on my '09 GS (after getting home from my first fuel strip replacement) and it turned out that it was supposed to be connected to the fuel tank breather valve (#6 in the diagram below). Will that harness reach around to the throttle side of the bike just inside the fairing?

fische.gif

I once found a dangling connector like that on my '09 GS (after getting home from my first fuel strip replacement) and it turned out that it was supposed to be connected to the fuel tank breather valve (#6 in the diagram below). Will that harness reach around to the throttle side of the bike just inside the fairing?

View attachment 36452

Thanks for the idea - much too short. Comes out of the harness right behind the oil cooler. No length to wire.

On my 2009 RT, there is a plug for the second horn wrapped on the clutch side of the nacelle's frame members. I retrofitted the earlier dual horns (replacing the single pancake) and used this plug for the second horn. I'm not sure if the GS also went from 2 horns to 1 pancake, but if so, this might also be a possibility...though the GPS connection may make more sense for the GS.

Also, doesn't the GPS plug have three pins: positive, negative, and speed-sense lead?

Back