• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

ESA Shock Abssorber dissambly R1200RT

c_artgo

I recently Purchased a set of lowering springs from Hyperpro for my 2009 R1200RT. I would like to install them myself and was wondering if anyone has done this job and if you need a special spring compressor. The spring compressor I have is a general unit that has worked on several shocks from different models. With only 24,000 miles on my RT I decided to go this route rather than new lower shocks.

Have you talked to the vendor about what you're trying to do? I've never heard of "lowering springs".. if you put shorter springs on a shock, the full extension of the shock must be reduced to match if what you're trying to do is make a shorter shock.

It's unclear how you're going about this..

The springs have a "built in sag" so when weighted you end up with a lowered ride height. EPM performance sells them and I have talked to Klaus several times and it sounded like it was worth a try because they are a reputable company. The cost is much less than going with complete shocks that I don't need.

I borrowed a spring compressor from the BMW repair shop near me. Changed the spring and returned the compressor.

I plan on adding a 3mm shim to my front spring to adjust the preload for 35mm sag with me on the bike. I am building a
spring compressor out of an automotive spring compressor for struts on cars. I have the shim made out of 304 stainless.

I don't think you can do it without a compressor. I tried the automotive type and it is too big.
I tried with banding No joy there too and it would have scratched the spring.

I am sending my rear shock to a guy for a slightly stiffer spring. I can't do that one my self at all.

******************************************************************************************
Hi Dave,

You'll have a hard time getting the spring off your rear shock. You can't take it off the bottom. You will find that it has a lot of pre load on a weak spring. A much stronger spring will less pre load will be much easier to control.

Quote away.

Thank you,

Ed Sorbo, owner
Lindemann Engineering, LLC
909 838-4587
*************************************************************************************************

Did I answer the question?

Just a follow up on the Hyperpro lowering springs. I ended up having the local BMW dealer break down the shocks and install the new lowering springs for about one hour labor charge when I brought the shocks to them. The springs work great and the ride is slightly improved, all the ESA functions work normally and I can get my feet flat on the ground. I can still get the bike on its center stand fairly easily and the side stand seems to be OK so far. It is much easier to move my bike around when backing into a parking spot or sitting at a stop light. After several rides I don't find any disadvantage for my mostly touring riding style.

Wow, this is very interesting info. I'd like very much to lower my 2010 but the high cost has put me off. Can I ask what the cost was?

Back