• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200RT 600 mi service with unapproved oil?

crawfcj

I know, an oil thread, but help me out. Three weeks ago I took my new RT in for the 600 mile service. I assumed that turning your bike over to the dealer for service would result in the service being performed as prescribed by BMW. A couple of days ago I was reading the owners manual and looked over the approved/recommended oils for my new bike. I noticed that, unlike my previous '07 RT, 20W-50 was not listed as an approved oil for the new engine. However, "4 quarts BMW 20W-50 bulk" is what was listed on the invoice as being installed in my bike. If 20W-50 is still ok for the newer engines, why would it not be listed in the owner's manual? And if it's not, shouldn't I have been advised prior to service that the dealer was going to install a product different than that which is recommended?

Should I drain what was put in there and install what's recommended? Am I obsessing about something not really important? I just am concerned about starting the bike on 20 degree mornings with heavy oil since cold starting is the most wearing thing on an engine.

So, change the oil? Or get over it. I have 400 miles on the oil but the coldest days are still coming.

So, change the oil? Or get over it. I have 400 miles on the oil but the coldest days are still coming.
I'd return the dealer with your handbook in hand and point out the error of their ways to them. Tell them to make it "right." You paid to have it done right, it wasn't, so they owe you. Plus it sounds as if they put dino oil in - I believe BMW now calls for synthetic right from the 600 mile service on the new engines..

Most of the people I have talked to don't want to go with synthetic til 10 or 20 k miles on the bike.
It isn't unusual to have to use near to spec oil, as the absolute might not be available at the moment.
I don't think it really makes any difference.
Of all the miscellaneous oils I have put in motorcycles, I don't think it ever made any difference.
dc

I'd return the dealer with your handbook in hand and point out the error of their ways to them. Tell them to make it "right." You paid to have it done right, it wasn't, so they owe you. Plus it sounds as if they put dino oil in - I believe BMW now calls for synthetic right from the 600 mile service on the new engines..

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning in that direction, Don. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to engage in a fight to have it done right, when the trust is already gone. Do I really want them working on my bike?

I would like to call or write BMWNA to have a rep advise me. Maybe that oil is ok (I doubt it). Anyone have a contact number?

I would forget about it, myself, but Don has a valid point. You don't need to "fight" to make your point. Just stick to the facts and see where it goes. Their response will tell you if you should stick with them or not.

Good luck man!

And also that the dealer, when confronted, said you could, also, if you want, use what's in the manual.
In other words, it don't make doodly whit of a difference.
dc

Hmmmm.... check out his discussion .... sounds like BMW may be suggesting 20w-50 Synthetic

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=813490&gonew=1#UNREAD

I followed that thread and the last post mentioned that BMW had indicated synthetic for the camheads, but nothing about 20W-50.

By the way, here are the approved oils listed in the manual:

Engine oil
Engine oil, capacity max 1.1 gal (max 4.0 l), with filter change
products recommended by BMW Motorrad and generally permissible viscosity classes
SAE 5W-40, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥-4 ??F (≥-20 ??C)
SAE 5W-≥50, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥-4 ??F (≥-20 ??C)
SAE 10W-40, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥14 ??F (≥-10 ??C)
SAE 10W-≥50, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥-4 ??F (≥-20 ??C)
SAE 15W-≥40, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥32 ??F (≥0 ??C)

Crawfcj,
I just had my 2013 R1200RT in for the 600m service and also see on my invoice that they used 20W50 PETR DRUM. I assume it's the same as you had installed in yours.
Dealer here is closed for the next few days. I'll likly give them a call next week.
Any updates from your side would be appreciated.
Chris

I followed that thread and the last post mentioned that BMW had indicated synthetic for the camheads, but nothing about 20W-50.

Engine oil
products recommended by BMW Motorrad and generally permissible viscosity classes

The very first post of that thread reads........My dealer informs me just recently that a recent BMW tech/service guide is now recommending full synthetic 20W50 for camhead engines and said that is what they will use at my 6K mile service coming up soon.

I really appreciate all of the input you guys have provided. I've found the contact number and email for BMWNA and will write them to get their answer. I will share it here for all to see. With the holidays going on, I'll be surprised to get an answer before January, but we'll see.

I really appreciate all of the input you guys have provided. I've found the contact number and email for BMWNA and will write them to get their answer. I will share it here for all to see. With the holidays going on, I'll be surprised to get an answer before January, but we'll see.

That would be great since I have a 2012 R1200GSA that just had its 600 mile service so the response of BMWNA would be of significant interest to me!

For what its worth at the 600 service they put in 10w-40 Dino oil. I have never used synthetic in any of my cars or bikes unless specifically specified in the owners manual. I change my oil way to often to benefit from synthetic .... just me being anal. But at the 600 mile service I specifically asked what oil they would use since I already have 2+ cases of 20w-50 Dino for use in my '06 RT. They made a point to note 10w-40 dino is what they use in all camheads.

Keep us posted! Thanks!!

My dealer also told me that they use 20W-50 oil in their bikes. My R1200R is running it, put in by them during the 600 mile service. Personally, I am not worrying about it.

600 mile service

I have a 2011 r1200rt one dealer says 10-40wt another 20-50wt,and the owner manual is confusing on this, would be interested what every one else is using,

Charlie, since you live and ride in ALabama where it isn't likely to get all that cold (like here in MA where it'll be a high of 35 today) I wouldn't think twice about the 20W-50. And if it's still in the bike when it gets hot again, you're all set. Note that 15W-50 is listed in the manual and (in my most humble opinion) I don't think those extra 5 W's will make any difference whatsoever.

I can't speak to the synthetic/petro debate but I'm following the 10K on the petro plan. My RT is still using a little oil at 9K. At the 12K service I'll see what the dealer says.

Happy Holidays, all! Lang may yer lum reek! (Scottish - it's a good thing, trust me)

pete

Fwiw

Engine oil

My dealer used BMW 15W-50 synthetic at the 600 mile service on my '12 RT. I asked many questions then determined if this is due to a change that BMW has made I will go along with it. If for no other reason to ensure I don't have challenges for warranty claims down the road.

The dealer appeared to be flexible and would have used dino if I preferred. I am at about 3k miles now and the bike has used almost a full quart since the 600 mile service. I have been keeping impeccable records and will present them to the dealer at the next service point, although I do plan on performing the service on my own.

I hope this helps.

Aloha.

Scot

I have used 10w-40 since day 1. Dinosaur up to 5000 miles and synthetic ever since. At 15k now and minimal oil consumption. Even in Arizona summer heat. I don't intend to change.

BMW NA gace me an "answer."

Well, I promised I would share whatever answer BMW would provide on this subject. Looking at the exchange below, read my letter the bottom and you will see that instead of accusing a dealer of making a mistake, which I thought might bias the reply, I implied that I installed the 20W-50 and later found the manual to not include that viscosity oil. I had hoped they would tell me I was ok or that I was wrong. Either way, I could have known what to do. The response, however, provides no information that I find helpful.

CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com

Dear Charlie,

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding your 2012 BMW R 1200 RT US. We always enjoy hearing from our riders.

The service team at your local BMW Motorrad dealer has the expertise to provide you with detailed technical support to fully address your inquiry. A list of our authorized BMW Motorrad dealers can be found on our website: www.bmwmotorcycles.com, under the "Find a dealer" link.

For any non-technical inquiries, you can contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,

Channin Diggs
BMW Motorrad USA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 12/27/2012 12:00:00 AM
To: CustRel2 <CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com>
Subject: BMW R1200RT 600 mile service oil question

Hello,

Thank you for reading this email. My question is, do you recommend I use BMW 20W-50 (non-synthetic) oil in my new 2012 BMW R1200RT motorcycle for its 600 mile service? The riders manual does not list that oil for my motorcycle.

If that viscosity oil is recommended for the 2012 R1200RT, why isn't it listed in the owner's guide/ Is there an update from BMW that includes that oil for my motorcycle?

If that oil is not recommended or approved, and I have already installed it, should I go ahead and change it again? The operating temperatures where I live are between 20F and 70F for the next four months, which means a cold start below 40 degrees each day.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. I want to treat my motorcycle in the best possible way and hope that i haven't made a serious mistake in installing an unapproved oil.

Sincerely,

Charlie

So I asked my dealer about the oil not meeting the specs in the manual and his reply was:

20w50 is fine for the temperatures we ride in in the South. BMW has ran 20w50 in their bike for sometime now and this weight is OK for your motorcycles.
I will contact our rep just to see if I can get some clarity on the changes to the owners manual for you.

Ah well. Almost sounds like an oil thread. I will follow the specific oil and viscosity recommendations in the manual and change it myself in the future.

Back