• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heated pants anyone?

curlesw

curlesw
I have the Gerbing heated jacket and glove; both are the best. When riding in weather below 30 degrees for more than 1 hour my lap and the top of my thighs get quite cold (I ride a 05 1200RT). While my first choice is to add a layer under my riding pants I am considering the heated pants from Gerbring. However, I am concerned about them being too bulky. Does anyone have experience with the heated pants?

Thanks.

Wayne C.

Wayne,

I have a pair of the Gerbring heated pants I bought for my trip to Alaska back in 2010. Since that trip I have only had one occasion to wear them as it never gets that cold in my part of central Texas.
They are bulky so, depending on the brand, your over pants probably need to be at least a size larger than normal or they might be a tight fit. The Gerbrings pants are straight leg so fitting them into boots can be difficult. I also had issues with the wires in the butt area. After a long day you can feel them.
If you do go with heated pants you have to have a seperate controller. It will work with a single but you will find that the pants are either too hot or too cold all the time.
I have a friend who just wears them over a set of vented pants (in other words as overpants) in the winter and says that works fine. I've never tried that personally but it might address some of the issues I mentioned above.
Several friends have the a brand of heated pants (not sure which ones) that are like chaps. They say they like them better because they don't have the wires in the butt issue but still get the warmth on top of the legs.
Hope that helps.

Heated pants

My wife and I both have had Gerbing heated pants for 4 years. FANTASTIC is the only word to describe them. We each have a dual controller and that is all that is needed. My wife wears spandex shorts under hers. I wear spandex running shorts. Warm and comfortable. Good luck.

They are bulky so, depending on the brand, your over pants probably need to be at least a size larger than normal or they might be a tight fit. The Gerbrings pants are straight leg so fitting them into boots can be difficult. I also had issues with the wires in the butt area. After a long day you can feel them.
We have not bought the pant liners because they look too bulky to fit under the leathers we normally wear. If I ever buy any, I would probably only wear them under my insulted overpants I use for day rides in the winter.
I would guess buying the Gerbing with the microwire might take care of the problem of feeling wires under your rear??? Paul, were your pants the old style or microwire?
My wife and I both have Gerbing jacket liners, gloves and insoles. If it's below 30 deg. we wear thin polortec or similar longjohns under our leathers and rain pants.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this was very helpful. I'm going to try an extra layer of clothing....loosing 10 lbs would help things fit better :blush

If that does not work, then I'll try the heated pants route, may have to get a larger suit.

Wayne C.

The Extreme Element overpants are the bomb. I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now, and I love them. They're insulated, so they work as an unheated cold-weather pant as well. Yes, they're bulky, but if I'm not commuting or going somewhere that I need to take them off, I just wear a pair of Under Armour ColdGear underneath. They're also waterproof, so a rainstorm on a 40-degree day isn't a ride-stopper.

Back