• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2005 K1200s front wheel removal

woody99

Hi; I am trying to remove my front wheel to change rubber. I have fashioned a wrench to turn the axel, loosened and removed pinch clamp bolts, unfastened calipers, jacked up bike so wheel is off the ground, but can't get axel out, I have turned it many, many times and can see the thread inside the axel housing near where octagon wrench fits. the spacer or bushing on the opposite side of the wrench side turns along with the bushing on the wrench side, but nothing seem to help. Any Ideas? the manual make it seem so easy. Thanks Woody

On Wedge K's, leave the pinch bolt on the opposite side alone/tight. Only loosen the same side the wrench goes on.

One caution, Woody, for when you are getting it back together:

That left side threaded piece actually sets the position of the wheel in the wheel carrier (side to side). If you happened to move it (not just spin it) while it was loosened, you risk having the brake rotors not being centered in the brake calipers. Or worse, the front ABS sensor could either contact the ABS ring or your ABS won't work as the sensor spacing will be off. But you didn't mention removing the ABS sensor before pulling the wheel, so maybe yours doesn't have ABS?

There is some good info in this thread on i-BMW: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38378&highlight=front+wheel+removal

Note the mention of greasing the seals and axle in post #5.

Just had mine off a couple of weeks ago for new rubber too. What a difference!

Happy trails,

Rod

I was going to mention the ABS sensor clearance, but didn't want to cause a panic. I believe if the wheel was never removed, the clearance hopefully did not change. The calipers will self align if off a bit, the sensor clearance is the bigger issue.

And these bikes love new rubber...especially on the front:thumb

Back