• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacement need for bing carb floats

jschardt

I have been a member for 20 odd years and run a R80/7. I have become aware of the gasohol dilemma and investigated float replacement need. A mechanic of repute advised me to use high test in my lawn mower to prevent damage to the carb system. His reasoning was that high test fuels DO NOT contain alcohol additives. If this is true than obviously there is no need for float modification in Bing carbs as long as one uses high octane fuel. I have always used high test in my R80/7. I am open to comment.
Sincerely
jschardt @uic.edu

I have been a member for 20 odd years and run a R80/7. I have become aware of the gasohol dilemma and investigated float replacement need. A mechanic of repute advised me to use high test in my lawn mower to prevent damage to the carb system. His reasoning was that high test fuels DO NOT contain alcohol additives. If this is true than obviously there is no need for float modification in Bing carbs as long as one uses high octane fuel. I have always used high test in my R80/7. I am open to comment.
Sincerely
jschardt @uic.edu
Welcome to the forum JS. There are many threads on the issues of alcohol in today's gasoline. Since your question seems mainly about your Airhead, I'll move the post to the Airhead section. Enjoy the forum. Gary

octane of ethanol

since the octane number of ethanol is 99.15 r+m/2 or road, I don't see any reason the 93 octane premium gasoline would not contain ethanol.

Some repute on that mechanic...all fuels contain alcohol (ethanol). There are "pure gas" stations around the country...go to their website to find them...you can get gas without the alcohol. But your average pump is going to have it.

Greetings and welcome to the forum....

99.9% of all gas stations have alcohol in their fuel, regardless of grade. However, some gas stations have "no ethanol" in some of their pumps. There was a great article in last issue of the Airhead magazine. I believe the web site is: www.pure-gas.com or something to that effect. A little research might show some gas stations in your area. I have 2 local gas stations that sell no ethanol 93 octane gas and 2 other one's that have no ethanol 89 octane gas. I choose the 93 octane pumps with no ethanol.

If you are not a member of the Airheads, it would be a wise group to join as well.

Back