• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

88 K75S Won't Start

B

bigdibbs

I replaced the battery
I replaced the air filter - which was badly clogged with a mouse nest in there (from previous owners garage I assume) vacuumed all that out.

Bike started fine in the garage, I took it out and it died on the road. I assumed I ran out of gas but after putting a few gallons in, still no luck.

I can hear what I believe is the fuel pump running after I release the ignition and all the fuses are ok.

Would changing a badly clogged air filter affect the fuel injection computer? It cranks hard, but no ignition

First, verify that the fuel pump comes on when you just stab the starter botton and release. It should run a few seconds and quit. Open the fuel cap, put ear to the filler opening, and listen.

Then verify the pumped fuel is getting to the fuel rail. Disconnect the line at the front of the fuel rail. Position catch container. Repeat fuel pump run with the start button stab. If you don't get a strong rush of fuel, then suspect a clogged fuel filter (a little water will do that), or a filter hose popped loose in the tank.

Verify that you have spark. I use an inductive timing light clipped around a plug wire and just flash the light into the palm of my hand.

If you have fuel and seem to have spark at the wire, remove and clean or replace the spark plugs.

It started! I didn't test anything out just filled the tank all the way up instead of just a few gallons. After another try she took off. :clap

It sounds like you ran out of gas. Then added fuel but didn't crank enough to fully purge the air from the system.

I would expect it to only take a few seconds as the fuel circulates and returns to the tank, but ...

My idea would be that since the air box was full of a mouse nest, that the air flow sensor might be sticking, could be junk in there or could have some corrosion. I think if the flap in there sticks that it can cause a stall/no start condition. Paul?

Gilly

My idea would be that since the air box was full of a mouse nest, that the air flow sensor might be sticking, could be junk in there or could have some corrosion. I think if the flap in there sticks that it can cause a stall/no start condition. Paul?

Gilly

I wouldn't expect an air meter problem with a nest in the airbox below the filter unless the filter was chewed so there was a mess on top of it too.

Thought of that later too. But maybe it was chewed up, it's only paper and mice love making nests out of stuff like that. Could also be corroded if it sat that long, and just stuck once (so far).

Back