• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I've got money to spend!!!

Oklabeemerfan

Merry Christmas too me!...I've got some money (and permission) to spend on my 2005 R1200GS habit. :dance What to do first? :scratch....Im leaning towards upper crash bars, a windscreen and better hand protection....help me spend it! Any Ideas? What would you do first?...Don

Can't help you with what to do first, but by your screen name I'll assume you are in Oklahoma. What part? I'm in the OKC area and have a R1200GS.

IMHO the upper crash bars are for looks only. My '05 GS has been on its side on both pavement and dirt all too often yet the plastic tank covers have no road rash or other damage. I understand the need on the adventure model where the tank is directly under the bars and needs protection. The plastic on the non-adventure model is all the protection the tank needs. Also, check the costs... you may be paying more to protect replaceable plastic than the plastic is worth.

If you still like them for the looks, then go ahead. I've one or two bling only items on my GS, too. There are lots of things to spend money on. Take a look at the list of farkles on my gs page if you need some ideas.

Lots of good ideas on your page marchyman. Actually, I was sent a link to your page and thats what got me thinking about Farkles for the bike. Also, that is an excellent point about the upper crash bars. I like the idea of the Barkbusters for hand protection. Do you have any experience with them?

I think I'll go with the lower engine guards, first. I did get the BMW hand guards, mostly for wind protection and they are very good for this.

I have not used Barkbusters. A friend replaced his stock guards with the 'busters and is quite happy with the results. He also thinks that wind management is better in that he gets less handlebar buzzing. But then he also had the touratech guard extenders on his stock guards and maybe that contributed to the buzzing in the first place. :dunno

One note: If you don't have some kind of secondary steering stop (I have the Wunderlich version) then it may be possible for the guard mounting hardware to contact the fuel tank plastic in case of a fall.

Last edited:
Late ideas

I've done a few things to mine I've really enjoyed.

1.) Russell Day Long saddle with backrest (not purty but much more comfortable)
2.) Tourtech tall windscreen
3.) Fuse block (can't remember which one)
4.) Starcom - or any other communication system which allow you to talk to your pillion and listen to music if that's what you like
5.) Bar riser's

I tried a couple of different saddles and although the RDL is the best I've found it is not perfect. I added a air hawk with very little air pressure. The back rest is nice for longer rides.

Instead of farkles for bike how about for you
New helmet
Jacket
Pants
Boots
Gloves
GPS
Best think I ever bought for my GS was a custom seat just saying

Good suspension is the first and best mod you can do to any bike. And you reap the benefits every time you ride.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!....I got some pretty good riding gear for myself already. I have Tourmaster jackets (Intake Series 2 and Transition Series 2) and Tourmaster Venture riding pants. I bought an Arai XD3 last summer and a pair of Sedici waterproof boots in the fall. The boots aren't the greatest but adequate. I also have a pair of Cortech gloves for warm weather and decent ski gloves for the cold. The Tourmaster stuff I've had for a couple of years and its holding up very well. Through this forum I was able to buy some used (excellent condition) farkles....Bar risers, Bar brace, Lift Handle and ZTechnik windscreen......Im still interested in the BarkBusters and have seriously considered Ohlins for the bike...they are quite expensive. This 05 GS is the first BMW I've owned and I love it, but Im not sure it's the bike I want to keep longer than a couple of years. I may opt for a newer model or even a GSA, so I think the $Ohlins$ are on the back burner. I like the fuse block idea for electrical goodies. I've seen on the Touratech page, a cockpit cover that has a standard plug, a BMW plug and some room to add other plugs/switches/gauges to it....Im satisfied with the stock seat so far, but haven't taken the BMW on rides further than 200 miles. This summer the plan is to ride to Oregon for the 2013 Rally. Training is an excellent idea and heard they have some good courses at the BMW Rallies. I've ridden to Colorado and back on the KLR and surprisingly it wasn't too bad on the backside. I did use the Alaska leather pad and will probably get one for the Beemer. I would like to get a good GPS that is motorcycle specific...lots of things to consider and I appreciate all the ideas...keep them coming! Don :brow

Last edited:
..............and have seriously considered Ohlins for the bike...they are quite expensive. This 05 GS is the first BMW I've owned and I love it, but Im not sure it's the bike I want to keep longer than a couple of years. I may opt for a newer model or even a GSA, so I think the $Ohlins$ are on the back burner................... Don:brow

People look at the cost of good suspension all wrong. You only really rent them with a security deposit up front. You use them and get to enjoy the huge benefit everyday, until you get ready to sell the bike, then you either reinstall the OEM (an hour job at most), and sell them to the next lucky buyer for 2/3-3/4 of what you paid, or when selling the bike you can get more $$$ for the used bike due to the upgrade . Either way you get most of the "security deposit" back.

Back